AOX does not move in X direction

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Mark Marfoglia, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Mark Marfoglia

Mark Marfoglia Cyanogen Customer

I have the following setup:

STX with AOX and remote guide head, all drivers and firmware are up to date (ran new DriverChecker)
    Running latest version of Maxim (6.08) just downloaded from the site
    The Sky X 10.5.0 (Build 10133)

The AOX runs fine in the Y direction but does not move in the X direction during calibration or exercising. No noise, no nothing. I read one of your threads that suggested seeing if the plate is seated right. It seems to be and moves freely in both direction with a touch of the finger.

I have many issues lately and recently corrected a calibration problem using a fix posted on another thread that worked for a while (changed CCDPlugA07.dll and Maxim CCD.dll). I have gone back to the standard Maxim in an effort to solve this. I will be posting another thread for my guild camera that closes the shutter during exposures.

It seems unlikely however that this is software when it does not even exercise. Do I send it for repairs?

Clear Skies,
    Mark

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Latest version of MaxIm is 6.13 with patch 0.08; latest build of TSX is 10229. There's another thread on this.

3. Mark Marfoglia

Colin,
    Oops - used the old link to download Maxim and forgot to check for the latest update, thanks.

I also re-checked the link below and applied the patch (CCDPlugA07.dll and Maxim CCD.dll).
    [RESOLVED]AO Calibration Hangs (patch available)

Still no movement in the X direction.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I guess you'll have to wait for one of the pro's to jump in.

5. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Are you using the exercise command in CCDOps to test the AO-X?

6. Mark Marfoglia

No, the exercise button in the Maxim AOX dialog box. When I select only X there is no affect. Only Y and it clicks. Both X & Y and it clicks more slowly.

I never use CCDops. Should I try it?

7. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Yes, please try it...it will help eliminate MaxIm DL as a potential cause.

8. Mark Marfoglia

Tim,

I tried calibrating the AOX in CCDops and the guild star moved only in the Y direction.

I am running on a windows 8 PC, connected to the camera via an ICRON device. I could try connecting directly but this setup has been running for 2 years. The ICRON is very stable.

The AOX has been run at low temperatures reaching -30C.

I sent my STX in for a firmware update 3 months ago. I installed it on my MX and it worked fine.

Several weeks ago I moved the entire set-up over to a ME II. I immediately could not calibrate the AOX drive. I applied the patchs mentionned above and got it working for a few nights, but never the last patches to get the progress bars fixed. Then the AO itself stoped moving in the X direction.

I should have taken notes on the exact sequence of events but...next time I will. Anything I should check?

Thanks,
    Mark

9. Mark Marfoglia

Tim,

So what do I do, wait for a software fix, send it for repair, or hit it with a hammer?

If I have to send it in I would like to know because I have to replace it with appropriate spacer as my Gemini has only 1/2" of travel.

Thanks,
    Mark

10. Tim

Tim Staff Member

So it was working with a previous setup, then stopped? If it is not working with a known working system, then the unit will need to be checked. Give Bill Lynch a call and he can arrange it:

Bill Lynch - SBIG Service & Repair Center

3769 Constellation Road, Unit D
    Lompoc, CA 93436

Bill Lynch - bill@sbig.com
    Phone: (805) 308-6979

Note: Please contact our authorized service & repair center for an RMA number prior to returning your equipment.

11. Mark Marfoglia

Tim,

As I mentioned above I was tinkering with patches to fix calibration of the drive in MAXIM and then the AO stopped working.

It won't move in the X direction in both Maxim and CCDops.

I will write to Bill. I live in Montreal so a long way to CA.

Thx,
    Mark