focus problem with FW8G-STXL

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by James Pothier, Apr 10, 2017.

1. James Pothier

James Pothier Cyanogen Customer

I have the following setup that I am putting together:
    CDK17, STXL-11002, FW8G-STXL, AOX and I found that when I focus the main imager the 11002 and then try and focus the guider in the FW8G-STXL it hits it's end limit just shy of reaching focus. And prior to trying to focus the guider I positioned it as close to the main imager as possible without shadowing it. I am rather surprised this could happen. Any thoughts as to what can be done ?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Are you hitting the limit of outward movement ("tightening" the adjustment screw) or inwards ("loosening" the adjustment screw)?

3. James Pothier

I need to look at it again. Despite my best effort in taping off the pickoff mirror adjustment knob, I actually taped off the focus so I think I swapped them around. Sorry to jump to conclusions.
    Jim

4. James Pothier

The weather finally cooperated and I was able to determine that I did swap around the adjustment knobs in my mind and was trying to adjust the focus with the positioner. Strangely enough the positioner did change the focus more than I would have thought. But I am still having problems with getting the guider to image link in SkyX. I did succeed once or twice but most of the time it fails. And I am trying to use that information to precisely position the guider location on my FOV indicator relative to the main imager.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes the mirror position does affect the focus. If you think about the geometry a bit you'll see why - when you move it inwards, it is farther away from the guide sensor.