FW8G-STXL filter install question

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Dave, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Dave

Dave Standard User

There was a related issue posted a while ago regarding the shoulder washer/filter diameter- cell diameter miss-match. I have Astrodon series 2 filters which have slightly less than 50mm diameter (49.7). However, thankfully, Astrodon provides his own washers which are the appropriate size, but they are a millimeter thinner with no step-off design like the ones provided by SBIG. When I use the SBIG screws I believe there is a slight prominence of the screw, maybe 1 millimeter at most on the other side of the filter wheel. I wouldn't think this is a problem but just want to make sure. Of course even though the washers do cover the filters, they can still move around in the cell due to the size differential but I don't think there is anything that can be done about that at this time? Hopefully it won't affect the outcome outside of the noise?
    Thanks
    Dave

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. Dave

Dave Standard User

Ok. I'll answer myself. It appears that the wheel operates fine in spite of the slight prominence of the screws on the backside. It is pretty noisy though but I guess once it's in position it shouldn't matter. The motor is probably a little noisier than the rattling of the filters which I don't notice too much

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

When you refer to noise, do you mean that the bottom of the screw is scraping slightly as the wheel turns?

4. Dave

Dave Standard User

No I don't think it's a scraping noise. It's more like a humming noise from the motor. Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see where any impingement could occur if the screws were a millimeter proud in the back? If I'm going to risk damaging the wheel I will most certainly try something else.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If the screws aren't contacting anything then there's no way they could cause any change to the motor sound. Most likely your wheel is working normally.

6. Dave

Dave Standard User

Ok. Thanks Doug.