Staff Assigned: Tim ST402ME power rush: circuit board / connection dead?

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Observatory Gromme, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Observatory Gromme

Observatory Gromme Standard User

Dear,

Last month, after a long time ( 2 years or so ), i powered up again my SBIG ST402ME.
    But i do not succeed in getting an initialization.

I measured the fault PSU, and it starts with a inrush of 20V DC then going back to 12V DC. Measured with an multimeter. So i think an inrush of high power?

I've tried multiple pc's, windows version, driver checker etc etc:
    - the red light goes on
    - the filter wheel ticks to it initialization point, also when asking to make connection with camera, but afterwards it hangs itself. I can not get the camera connected to CCOPS. It tries to initialize, ticks hearing, but then it stops, and CCDOPS hangs itself ( or CCDSoft, Maxim, Prism, etc.... )

I asume a pcb board fault? What are my options? I live in Belgium, so considering customs etc
    Thank you very much.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'll ask @Tim to help you with this.

3. Tim

Tim Staff Member

When you power the camera on, does it appear in Windows "Device Manager"?

Are you using a USB hub, or is the camera connected directly to the computer USB port?

4. Observatory Gromme

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your time and help. Yes i do see it in Device manager:

ST402ME problem.jpg

I hooked it up directly to the USB port of the computer. I updated driver checker to the latest files, but nothing helps.

5. Tim

Tim Staff Member

I see you have warning messages in the Device Manager under "Other Devices". Do these show up when the camera is plugged into USB, and disappear when unplugged, or is this some other device you have connected?

Try changing to the 64bit driver for the SBIG camera. In Device Manager, click "Update Driver" -> "Browse my computer for driver software" -> "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer". Uncheck "Show Compatible Hardware". In the driver list displayed select "SBIG USB-64 driver with firmware".

Can you send a screenshot of the "Driver" and "Firmware" tabs in the SBIGDriverChecker64?

6. Observatory Gromme

The warning messages are not related to the SBIG camera. They also appear when the camera is disconnected.
    Here is the drivers list, the 64 Bit version gave me the same result:
    SBig ST402 drivers.jpg

The SBIG driver checker 64
    driver checker.jpg

With the 64 bit driver, i get an error in device manager: The device cannot start ( code 10)

7. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Did you try the "SBIG ST-402 driver without firmware" driver as well by chance?

8. Observatory Gromme

Jep, i tried every driver in that list. Nothing works unfortunatly. I really think some kind of fault on the board due to a power injection?

9. Observatory Gromme

The reason also why i think it has got something to do with high power injection of the fault PSU is the following:

I had several laptops collected through the years, where on al those laptop the SBIG ST402ME worked. XP, VIsta, WIndows 7 etc.
    And now with the error i also tried it on those laptops as well, and none of them seem to work neither, as it definitely was before.

10. Tim

Tim Staff Member

I will send you a PM shortly with details as to where you can send it in for service.