STF-8300M : unable to install the device.

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Sendell, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Sendell

Sendell Standard User

Hi
    It seems that my camera has an issue : I can't install it on my computers (with last driverchecker and all), Windows has an "unable to install the device" issue. I've found http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=93164 which seems to be the same issue, in my case I have PID & VID (USB\VID_04B4&PID_8613)... but I can't find mentioned tools.
    Where can I found some support for this case ?
    Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  2. Sendell

Sendell Standard User

First step, I could install a driver from Cypress, the "Signed CyUSB3.sys Driver for EZ-USB® FX2LP™ Development Kit (Windows 7 x64 Environment)", I now see my camera as "Cypress FX2LP No EEPROM Device"
    I'm know looking for the "STX Utility", as mentioned :
    Run the STX Utility
    Select your camera from the dropdown (STF-8300)
    Click Discover
    Click Program EzUSB
    Reboot

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  3. Sendell

Sendell Standard User

Second step :)
    I've found STXUtility on ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/
    I changed the driver in order to use the one provided, my camera is now a "USBIO controlled devices"/"EzUSB Fx2 No EEPROM (VID/PID=04B4/8613)".
    But when I use the "SBIG Camera Firmware Utility", selecting STF-8300 then clicking Discover, "No USB Devices found"... (same with Cypress driver)

4. Sendell

Sendell Standard User

As it is an unsigned driver, Windows blocks it... I had to reboot, hit F8 before Windows starts, and choose "allow unsigned driver". Then I was able to use STXUtility and programing :) With DriverChecker, i now can get Firmware version (2.45/1.04) ; I successfully updated to 2.55/2.22, everything is fine now ;)

So I could resolve it by myself... but I hope these elements will help someone one day !

5. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Sendell,
    driver checker should be only used to install SBIG's universal driver, so I do not exactly understand what you are doing with the VID/PID values.
    BTW, SBIG STF camera has a quite different VID/PID values and doesn't download any firmware to its memory on boot using fxload utility.

Here is VIP/PID pair:

# ST-i, STF, STT & STX cameras
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0d97", ATTR{idProduct}=="0102", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"

Regards,
    Jan

6. Sendell

Sendell Standard User

Hi Jan,
    Since the STXUtility step, indeed I have VID_097D&PID_0102 ; before I really had VID_04B4&PID_8613 so DriveChecker could not do anything... That's why the "Fx2 No EEPROM Driver" provided with STXUtility was needed.
    I don't know what happened to have this state. I had this issue few years ago just after a successful first light, and was so disappointed that I let it away... Now I have an issue with my FW8-8300, but I'm pretty sure it's because I (dis)connected i²c while powered, I'll see it with my reseller...

7. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Hi Sendell,
    I didn't know you probably connected/disconnected I2C device - FW-8300 while powered which is not allowed, of course.
    Your "EzUSB Fx2 No EEPROM (VID/PID=04B4/8613)" means, that content of camera's EEPROM was at least erased or
    maybe some HW was damaged. This happened to me in March 2014. Repair it at home is very difficult, so you should
    send your camera to Bill Lynch - bill@sbig.com .

Regards,
    Jan

8. Sendell

Sendell Standard User

Repairing EEPROM at home was easy, as soon as I've found STXUtility : yesterday my STF8300 was just a brick, this night I could make an image.
    Repairing the fuse... indeed I won't even try, I'll check that with my local reseller in a first time.