ST10 xme mono issue - Horizontal interference in subs

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Leonard Ellul Mercer, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Leonard Ellul Mercer

Leonard Ellul Mercer Standard User

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Looks like some kind of electrical interference. Could be an issue with the power source - are you using the brick that came with the camera? Are you using through-the-mount wiring? Did you change anything related to wiring or power in your setup?

3. Leonard Ellul Mercer

Thanks Doug,

I was using the brick power supply and all the wiring used previously. As I said earlier, the first 16 subs
    captured, were fine, then the next image was like the first image I included in my message and the next 4 or 5
    subs were like the 2nd. image included in my message. I did not change anything in my set up.
    The only thing I could mention is that I had not used the setup for 6 weeks due to overcast
    weather. Is there any way to check the output power of the power supply box by a competent
    technician. I know one in whom I have full trust.
    Thanks
    Leonard

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

There's a diagram for the power connections in the manual.

Try taking some dark frames to see if the problem is still present. Either something external was causing it or something inside the camera failed...

5. Leonard Ellul Mercer

Thanks Doug,
    I took some darks already, problem still there. As I requested in my previous message, . Is there any way to check the output power
    of the power supply box by a competent technician. I know one in whom I have full trust. I am asking this just to eliminate
    the power supply box before going to the camera, i.e. if the power supply box is not the cause.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Like I said, there's a diagram for the power connector in the manual.

7. Leonard Ellul Mercer

Thanks Doug,

But what do you mean by that, please. What if I look at the diagram. What should I do after looking at the
    diag. I did not really quite understood you.

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Leonard,
    You'll need to have a technical person connect a Voltmeter (or better yet, an Oscilloscope) to the correct pins on the power connector, and make sure that it is supplying the correct voltage, without significant ripple (little bumps in the output).
    e.g. Pin 5 is the Ground (0 volt) connection, hooked to the Black or Ground lead of the meter.
    Hooking the red or + lead of the meter to Pin 1 should show +5.00 V (give or take about .2 V).
    To Pin 2, you should get +12V
    To Pin 4, you should get -12V.

Then, put a load on the power supply - e.g. a 100 ohm resistor rated for 10-20 watts, across the + and DC GND, while having the voltmeter or oscilloscope connected.

Be very careful to get the right pins - as they are hard to read the numbering.

Good luck.

The other thing to check is whether you have any radio-frequency interference affecting the equipment. e.g. you made sure there were no cellphones, bluetooth headsets, cordless telephones, radio transmitters, wifi antennas nearby.

9. Leonard Ellul Mercer

Thank you, Colin - I know the right person who could do this for me. Regarding radio transmitters, in reality my next door neighbour
    has an amateur radio transmitter, however during this same night when this issue occurred, I was imaging simultaneously with my STL 11K
    in my other dome only a few meters away. I would reckon that this issue should have occurred with the images of this camera as well
    had the cause been from the radio transmitter.

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Your neighbour could probably help solve the problem - most hams (amateur radio operators) are good with electronics. You might have to buy him a beer!

11. Leonard Ellul Mercer

Hi Colin,
    The power box has been checked and there is nothing wrong with it according to the technician
    who checked it as you suggested. In the meantime, Martin Artem from the Sbig group suggested
    that I use the debug log appl. and take a few images to create a log file. I did this and the file
    looks as here under, however, I am not sure what could be derived from this log, i.e. what
    conclusion relating to this issue:
    Log file created : Fri Mar 03 22:11:38 2017

=======================================================
    Computer : DESKTOP-OKPH5HT
    Processor type : 586
    Number of processors : 4
    Operating system : Microsoft (build 9200), 64-bit
    System directory : C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Windows directory : C:\WINDOWS
    User : Leonard
    Driver Name Version Date Current
    sbigudrv.dll 4.97 Build 2 01-16-17 Yes
    sbigu64.sys 2.41.0.1338 01-27-15 Yes
    sbigucam.hex 2.42 01-27-15 Yes
    sbiglcam.hex 2.20 01-27-15 Yes
    sbigfcam.hex 2.25 01-27-15 Yes
    sbigfga.bin 2004.11.10 01-27-15 Yes

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I suspect you need to contact Bill @ Service

13. Leonard Ellul Mercer

"I suspect you need to contact Bill @ Service"

Hi Duog,
    Does the Debug log indicate anything?

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You didn't enable anything so it didn't record anything.

It's not a useful suggestion for this. The camera is taking pictures reliably. It's just not producing good quality pictures.

15. Leonard Ellul Mercer

Thanks, Doug - I will contact Bill, as suggested

16. Leonard Ellul Mercer

Hello Doug

I emailed Bill but till now have not had any response. If you can help
    I would be very grateful.
    Thanks,

Leonard

17. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Leonard,

I don't see an email from you in my inbox. Send me another, bill@sbig.com. Do you have a Remote Guide Head attached? I suspect it will have to come in.

-Bill

18. Leonard Ellul Mercer

Hi Bill, Thanks for your response. If you check the first message in this thread, you will
    know what my problem is. No, I don't have a remote guide head attached.
    I had my power adapter box checked but there seems to be nothing wrong with it,
    however my technician pointed out that there could still be some interference from
    such an adapter even if it shows to be 99% OK. That 1% could still produce an interference,
    if something is wrong with that 1%. If you follow the thread you will get an idea
    of the problem. Hope to hear from you.
    Thanks,
    Leonard