Driver problem?

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Fly Boy, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Fly Boy

Fly Boy Standard User

Hi All,
    After years of using my ST8XME, I removed it from my telescope to try a SBIG ST4000XCM and after selecting it in CCDSoft it connected and operated without a problem. However, when I put the ST8 back on, that software would not recognize it even after down loading and installing the latest drivers. So I put the ST4000 back on and all was well until I tried the ST8 again and the software couldn't find it. I've switched cables and cleaned contacts. This makes no sense to me but there must be a simple answer.... CCDSoft is my preferred camera control software.
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Perhaps you can provide a bit more detail... like which operating system you are running, and how is the ST8XME connected to the computer (eg serial port?) and maybe one of us old time customer or the Diffraction folks may be able to help. Did you set up the camera in the SBIG Driver checker to specify any details like remote guide head or anything like that?

3. Fly Boy

Fly Boy Standard User

Hello Colin,
    My operating system is Win 7 pro 64 bit and the ST8 connects by USB. The SBIG Driver checker was accessed automatically.
    Thanks,
    Bob

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Does the ST8 appear in the Device Manager? Can you connect to the ST8 from CCDOPS?

5. Fly Boy

Fly Boy Standard User

Hello Doug,
    After trying everything I could think of I decided to install my system image backup and bingo the ST8 connected and worked. So, wanting to use my ST4000XCM, I connected it and it also worked perfectly. However, when I connected the ST8 again, CCDSoft, CCDops or Maxim DL couldn't find it.
    I'm confused,
    Bob

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Well that is something of a mystery. When you plug in the ST-8, does it load the firmware (when this is complete the camera powers up fully)?

You didn't say whether it appeared in the device manager.

7. Fly Boy

Fly Boy Standard User

Yes, the ST8 will power up and does show in the device manager but, the software can't find it.
    However, if I were to do my computer image backup, the ST8 is back until I install the ST4000 again....
    Thanks,
    Bob

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I assume you tried rebooting...

9. Fly Boy

Fly Boy Standard User

I did try that several times Doug. I must have one of those rare circumstances that no one else has ever had. It seems that the software won't install the ST8 driver once the ST4000 connects. I sure that if the answer could be anywhere it would be on this forum. None of this happened until I bought the ST4000. So far I cannot come up with a plan B.
    Thanks,
    Bob

10. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Is there an error message in MaxIm DL, or CCDOps when it doesn't connect?

11. Fly Boy

Fly Boy Standard User

Hi Tim,

No error messages other than Cannot Connect.
    I'm going to try a different computer but first I'm going on a business trip overseas and I'll get back to you then.
    Will that be acceptable or shall I start a new thread?

Thanks,
    Bob

12. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Yes, that's ok.

I'm wondering if there is more to the error message, as "Cannot Connect" seems like a very vague error to issue. Typically it includes a description, or error code with the message. Knowing more details may help is look in the right spot.