STXL 6303 and Maxim DL

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by CraigNZ, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigNZ

CraigNZ Cyanogen Customer

Is there a tutorial for configuring Maxim DL to use a STXL 6303 camera w/FW8G filter wheel and guider? There seems to be quite a few settings and boxes to tick but rather than trial and error it would be much simpler to follow a tutorial that is known to work. Tweaks could then be added afterwards.

Craig

2. Jared Willson

Jared Willson Cyanogen Customer

I'm not aware of a tutorial, but since I own that camera and use Maxim I could give you a pointer or two... I'm assuming you are connecting via USB, but if not I can tell you how to get it running over Ethernet as well.

1) Make sure the camera is plugged in, both power and USB/Ethernet
    2) Turn on Maxim
    3) Enable the "Camera Control" window by pressing <ctrl>w on your keyboard
    4) Make sure you are on the "setup" tab in the camera control window and click on "Setup Camera" under Camera 1
    5) Under "Camera" choose "SBIG Universal"
    6) If you are using TCP/IP, make sure the IP address is filled in. Default value for SBIG cameras is, I believe, 192.168.0.100
    7) In the Connect To drop down you should see your camera listed as "STXL-6303" if using USB, or choose "Ethernet" if using Ethernet
    8) Swap Chips should be "No"
    9) Guide Chip should be "External Remote" (to use the guider in the CFW-8G)
    10) Ext. Trigger should be "off"
    11) You shouldn't need to adjust anything in the "Advanced" section
    12) Click "OK" to return to the camera control window
    13) Still on the setup tab, under Camera 1 you will see a check box for "Dual Chip Mode"; it should be checked
    14) Press "Setup Filter" and choose "SBIG Universal" under Filter or Controlling, "Standard" works fine for the model
    15) Fill in your filter names based on which slots you put the various filters into. Click "OK"
    16) Again you should be back on the camera control window on the "setup" tab
    17) Click the "Connect" button
    18) Once the camera connects, click on the "cooler" button and choose a setpoint. -20C to -30C is common for the 6303.
    19) Press the "On" button in the "coolers" section of the setup tab to cool down the camera

That's it as far as I know. On my system, that's everything I need to do.

- Jared

3. CraigNZ

CraigNZ Cyanogen Customer

Hi Jared,

Thank you for all the detail in setting up the 6303 camera in Maxim. I will check my settings against the above and make changes as needed.

Craig

4. Jared Willson

Jared Willson Cyanogen Customer

No problem!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.