Resolved Problem attaching filter wheel to STXL 16200

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Steve Crouch, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Steve Crouch

Steve Crouch Cyanogen Customer

So far I have been unable to use my STXL 16200 because I get a shutter error when using it with the STXL filter wheel. I've been using CCDops to diagnose the problem and CCDops gives a “shutter error” message.

After playing with this thing for many hours I’ve come to the conclusion that there is something obstructing the shutter when I bolt the CFW to the camera. The camera works fine without the CFW. I’m unable to see what the obstruction could be though.

Given that this has only happened with the purchase of the 16200 I was wondering if there has been any subtle specification changes to the camera body? Basically I’ve been treating the 16200 hardware as exactly interchangeable with my other STXL cameras.

I’ve been running my STXL6303 + AO-X + CFW combination for several years without any problems.

Thanks

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

There have been no changes to the camera body.

Can you provide any images of the hardware?

3. Steve Crouch

What particular images would you like?

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

The internals of the camera/shutter mechanism. The inside of the filter wheel cover.

Is it a standard filter wheel with no internal guider?

when the filter wheel is attached, are you able to freely move the shutter by hand through the opening?

5. Steve Crouch

I'll get the pictures as soon as I can. It's the self guiding filter wheel.

You can move the shutter with the fw attached but I didn't move it very far. The motion seemed reasonably free.

6. Steve Crouch

Pictures of cfw internals[​IMG][​IMG] IMG_0049.JPG

7. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Steve,

Try just laying the FW on the camera, without screwing it down.

-Bill

8. w4sm

w4sm Cyanogen Customer

I have this exact setup with a similar problem that has just developed after things were working fine. Taking the camera setup off the telescope, the shutter can be seen to "stutter" when trying to move for light or dark images. I have taken everything apart and see no signs of anything sticking or rubbing. The shutter moves freely by hand when the filter wheel is attached. The belt does not slip. Everything was working fine, but I believe this problem started intermittently yesterday when I was working with taking flats. It caused several "shutter error" messages, sometimes crashing MaximDL, but then would work normally. Today it will not work properly at all. Last night I used CCDOPS to change the offset setting on the off axis guide camera (which was set on 255, but changed to the default of 0), but I can't see how that would be related and this problem was starting intermittently before that. When the shutter "stutters" it creates an error notice with either MaximDL or CCDOPS and sometimes crashes MaximDL. My equipment photos are identical to those above.

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

W4SM DE VE3MSC... what version of the firmware do you have in the camera, and what version of MaxIm are you using? Are you running it from the original AC power pack, or something else?

10. w4sm

w4sm Cyanogen Customer

I've started a new thread regarding this problem:

http://forum.diffractionlimited.com/threads/stxl-16200-shutter-stutter.4244/

To answer your question, though, MaximDL is the current version. I'm not where I can look up the exact 6.xx version number, but it was updated a few weeks ago. Likewise the STXL 16200 firmware files are current. One of the four was not current, but I updated it and the problem persists.