STT-8300 with self-guiding filter wheel times out

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by EricC, Feb 3, 2018.

1. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

A couple months ago my STT-8300 with self-guiding filter wheel started giving occasional timeouts when reading the guider. I use SGP for the main camera and PHD2 for the guider. PHD2 would give an error about "after 16 seconds the download did not complete" when guiding. I found I'd need to power cycle the camera to fix it. I have "disable guiding while downloading image" set in SGP
    The timeout started appearing more frequently - every 10-60 minutes or so, which effectively made the camera unusable.

I tried again today, and it very quickly started doing the same thing. I also tried in MaxIM, setting the guider to be Camera 1 so I could take continuous 2 seconds shots. It was fine until I then tried to take pictures with the main camera. After a few pictures MaxIM would say "downloading" but not do anything. After a minute or two I'd hear the guide camera's shutter go off once, and the "downloading" would be there again. MaxIM's log didn't give any indication of a problem.
    SGP's log had an entry for starting the exposure, but didn't have one for ending it (normally it does a couple seconds after starting the exposure).

I tried with a working USB cable directly from the PC to the camera. I also tried using a different HDMI cable from the filter wheel to the camera. Neither made any difference.

Since this happens with two programs I suspect it's not a software issue. I just checked with DriverChecker and all driver files are up-to-date. The camera firmware is 1.10 for sttusb.bf2 (most recent) and 2.64 for sttga.bf2 (2.65 is most recent).

Any ideas how to debug this? Do I need to send the camera in to get checked?

Eric

2. Wannaberocker

Wannaberocker Cyanogen Customer

I also have had this happen when guiding with my AO-8T using TSX and CCDAP5. Only thing that fixes it is a power cycle. I am following this. Other than this issue both my STTs are great.