Staff Assigned: Tim FW8G-STXL guider shutter problem

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by CraigNZ, Jun 19, 2018.

1. CraigNZ

CraigNZ Cyanogen Customer

Recently I noticed an intermittent problem where the guider shutter is not opening all the way, I end up with maybe 75% of the image blocked. Listening to the camera, I hear two clicks when the shutter completely opens, but when I get a partial image I hear only 1 click. Is there any diagnostics or maintenance I can do to fix it?

Craig

2. CraigNZ

An update, a few hours later I tried the camera again and the shutter appears to be working okay. This might be due to either:

a) the observatory has warmed up from a cold night, maybe the shutter problem is temperature related, I will try again tonight when the temperature drops,

b) I updated the SBIG software using the checker program. The firmware for the 11002 camera was okay but I also have an 8300M and it required an update (the usb driver). The 11002 uses Ethernet connection and the 8300M uses USB, both connect using the universal driver which may have been updated.

Will try again tonight to see if the problem is still there

3. CraigNZ

It may be a temperature problem. I tried again early in the morning and after a short period the shutter was not working again. Listening to it, when working properly there are two clicks followed by the exposure time then a single click at the end of the exposure. When not working there is a single click at the start, then the exposure then a single click at the end. If I repeatedly take exposures then it is random when it works and not works. I am using Maxim DL with latest updates, and have updated the SBIG drivers and camera firmware to the latest version. The connection is using the Ethernet port of the camera. Filter wheel is FW8G-STXL, camera is STXL 110002.

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

The only way to check it, is to actuate the shutter while the guide camera is not mounted, and watch the shutter. If the shutter is occasionally sticking, you may want to contact Bill Lynch for service.

Bill Lynch – SBIG Service & Repair Center
    3769 Constellation Road, Unit D
    Lompoc, CA 93436
    Bill Lynch – bill@sbig.com
    Phone: (805) 308-6979

5. CraigNZ

I assume the shutter is mechanical? Do you have any photos or diagrams showing the shutter and how it works?

6. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Sorry, however there are no diagrams available.

If you remove the filter wheel, and look in the pick-off mirror you will be able to see the shutter as it actuates.