Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud CFW-8A Color Filter Wheel - Filter Select Problem

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by John Hostetler, Oct 10, 2018.

1. John Hostetler

John Hostetler Standard User

I am using CCDOps5 version 5.57Build 3-NT, and am attempting to use the filter select option to select the CFW-8A Color Filter Wheel which is already installed on the CCD. Given that this is an older version of CCDOPS, there is no option for this color filter wheel. The manual for this color filter wheel instructs that one must erase the FILTER.CFG file in the CCDOPS directory, then select the CFW-6A type filter wheel in the Setup command. I have looked through all of the program files for CCDOps5, and have searched the computer for a file titled FILTER.CFG, but to no avail. Where is this file located? Once found, is the procedure truly to just delete this file?

When I attempt to simply select CFW-6A, the filter type reverts to >none<. I’m sure this is because the FILTER.CFG file remains, but on the off chance that this is not normal, I thought I would bring it up.

Thanks

2. John Hostetler

John Hostetler Standard User

Time is of the essence here, can I get a response ASAP?

Thanks

3. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Hello John.

While you wait for an official response from Diffraction Limited I have had a look at a copy of CCDOps that I have here on a test VM, unfortunately I don't have access to a SBIG camera anymore for testing but I can suggest a couple of things.

The FILTER.CFG file is only created once a valid filter wheel is detected, configured and the program CCDOps is terminated after a successful use, then the file FILTER.CFG is created, I think that is why you can't find it when you search because you haven't yet been able to make a successful configuration.

On a Windows installation if the file FILTER.CFG did exist I believe it would be found in the location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\SBIG\CCDOps5 which is the host directory for CCDOPs.

There is a later version of CCDOps than you are using that is available to download from the Diffraction Ltd archive.

Assuming this is the Windows version of CCDOps you are running I would suggest uninstalling your current version of CCDOps and download the later version from the archive at the direct link below:

CCDOPS (Windows)

Or the host page here:

http://diffractionlimited.com/support/sbig-archives/

The latest version is 5.61 build 0.

When you install it run the installer with administrator rights by right-mouse-click the InstOps.exe installer file and select 'Run as Administrator' from the context menu.
    Once the program is installed do the same with the desktop icon or program shortcut, mouse-right-click and select 'Run as Administrator' from the context menu.

Does the behaviour change when you run the later version of CCDOps 'As administrator'

Another thing to check is that you have the latest hardware drivers installed for your camera and filter wheel. If you have installed an old version of the universal driver checker uninstall it and download then run the newest version.

ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/SetupDriverChecker64.exe

The above may all just be nonsense of course but it might be worth trying while you await an official response, if I had an old SBIG camera and filter wheel here I could be of more help.

If still having problems Diffraction Limited will need a bit more information from you, which model camera are you using? which version of Windows? do both camera and filter wheel appear in Windows device manager when they are plugged in? Is this a new problem with an old setup that was previously working or are you trying to set up a new installation?

William.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  4. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi John, there were some lingering issues with filter wheel selection in 5.57 that should have been resolved the latest version of CCDOps. If updating CCDOps doesn't resolve the issue, please ping me. I'd like to log in remotely and troubleshoot the problem.