Resolved ST10xme Can't connect to a Win 10 PC

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Arf, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Arf

Arf Standard User

Have Win 10 pc with CCDOps and CCDSoft installed. Downloaded latest drivers thru Driver checker 64, they installed ok. Camera shows up in Device Manager, as working properly. But camera will not connect in either program. Same routine connects it ok to two other PCs, one a Win 8.1 and the other a Vista Home version 32 although that uses the 32 bit drivers. Any ideas why it won't connect?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Please try CCDOPS.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I think he said he already tried both CCDOPS and CCDSoft and neither worked.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sorry missed that.

Maybe it’s a problem with the firmware, which is downloaded into the camera when it is plugged in. If the computers can be side by side, here’s a test you can do:

1. Plug the camera into the “good” computer and power it ip. Make sure it is working.
    2. Unplug the USB without powering off the camera, and plug it into the “bad” PC
    3. If the camera now works, the “bad” PC isn’t uploading the firmware correctly. Then we can try and figure out why.

5. Arf

Arf Standard User

Yes neither software connects. The same programs connect fine on another laptop and a desktop. When I plug in the camera usb connector the camera lights up, runs, and is recognized in Device Manager as working properly, just as the other pc's. I am running a demo version of Maxim DL on the problem pc as well as on my Win 10 desktop. The camera connects fine to the desktop but on the laptop Maxim only lists lpt and ethernet as the drop down connection choices, doesn't show USB as an option. Have tried plugging in to all three usb slots (2x3.0, 1x2.0) on the laptop but no success. Odd that when you plug in the camera to the laptop it "chimes", lights up the camera and gets it running as though it sees it fine but neither CCDOPS, CCDSoft or MaximDL can connect on this particular pc. In Device Manager the camera is shown as SBIG USB Devices with Firmware, although it is not in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section, just in the list above that, but that is same for the pc's that work. It seems to be unique to this laptop. I have no problem connecting all sorts of other usb devices to this laptop, just the ST10...

6. Arf

Arf Standard User

Doug, thanks for advice. I just performed the test you describe. Works fine on "good" PC, grabbed an image. Unplugged usb and plugged it into the "bad" laptop pc. Same error message No camera can be found. USB is selected in the Graphics/Comm menu.

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay so the problem is on the driver side. I think we’re going to have to get Adam to remote in to your system. Can you make it available?

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

9. Arf

Arf Standard User

Yes, I just reinstalled drivers thru that ftp, are same as what I have on both good and bad pc's. Did not help.

10. Arf

Arf Standard User

My "bad" pc with the connection issue is running Win 10 Pro so it can be connected to by Remote Desktop Connection

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Adam had to leave a little early today, but I talked to him about this before he left and he gave me the low-down.

It is rare but a handful of Windows 10 systems have experienced this trouble for as-yet unknown reasons. As you know Windows 10 updates have been fraught with problems, and it might be the result of an update gone bad. The quality of Windows updates lately have been truly abysmal and have caused all sorts of problems. They're just not testing them properly anymore. Not just that but sometimes the updates fail to properly install and break things.

One of the projects we are currently working on is to update the low-level USB drivers used by SBIG Universal Driver. The low-level drivers are a bit long-in-the-tooth and there is a newer (but very incompatible) version available. Most likely this will resolve the problem. I can't say for sure how long it will take for this project to be completed, but it is a very high priority.

In the meantime, the only thing we can suggest is uninstall / reinstall the drivers. If you've updated them, try completely removing them and then reinstalling them.

Windows 7 does not have this problem...

12. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Make sure to reboot after removing them.

13. Arf

Arf Standard User

OK I will try that. I just had a Windows 10 update install yesterday on the "good" desktop which didn't affect st10 camera connectivity. The same sbig drivers are on that and the 'bad" laptop pc.
    I'll remove all the sbig drivers in Windows system and system32, then reboot. Then use DriverChecker64 to reinstall them and see what happens. The only difference between the "bad" and good PCs re Windows 10 is that the bad PC is running Pro version and the good one is Home version. Maybe that has something to do with it. I have Pro installed on the bad pc because it is needed to remotely access it via Remote Desktop Connection, which I need to do. I'll post if it works. If/when your driver update project works can you post it here or let me know? My email is ebyt7@aol.com.
    Thanks! Tom

14. Arf

Arf Standard User

I just did the sbig drivers cleanse and reinstalled them all via DriverChecker64, rebooted. Same problem. Funny how the camera lights up, turns on and the pc chimes out when the usb is plugged in, and it shows as installed and working OK in Device manager, but just will not be detected by CCDOPS or CCD Soft or Maxim DL.

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Weird.
    What happens if you go to the SBIGDriverChecker, select the firmware tab, and click "Get Firmware Version from Camera"?

16. Arf

Arf Standard User

hello.
    On the "bad" pc it messages that no camera is found, check connection, etc.

On the "good"pcs it says "a camera was found that doesn't require firmware uploads.
    Simply update the Drivers and reboot the camera".

17. Arf

Arf Standard User

hello friends
    Well I took the nuclear or Gordian knot cutting option and reloaded Win10 altogether. Luckily I didn't have too many programs on this pc and just needed time to reload and configure them afterwards.
    I came to the conclusion that something had buggered the usb control enough to cause the st10 not to connect, even though I could still connect other usb devices, which was weird. So I'm just guessing here but something was clearly amiss with sbig usb camera connectivity only on this particular pc.
    After reloading Win10 I loaded CCDOPS and CCDSoft and DriverChecker 64 drivers updated. happy to report everything works fine now, the camera operates perfectly and is instantly recognized by the programs.
    One possible cause is awhile back I connected an older Belkin usb to serial adapter to this pc but it was not recognized. Belkin indicated a workaround legacy driver was available that worked with Windows 10, although it was built for Win 7. I downloaded it and it did work but I wonder if my Win10 Pro was not entirely happy with that Win7 usb driver and it caused this problem. I have since ordered an adapter specifically for Win 8 and 10, so hopefully it will be fine. I need one to connect an old but very reliable serial PC Focus Aid interface box to my JMI NGF-S motorized focuser used on my C11 and C14 Edge and Tak CN212 scopes.

Thanks very much for your help and advice with this, it was a bugger for sure. Sorry to have taken up time with this but this support forum is excellent and I appreciate the attention you gave to this.

18. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Glad to hear you got sorted!
    As far as USB to Serial adapters go, the best ones seem to be (1) based on the FTDIChip parts or (2) Tripplite Keyspan US-19HS or similar.
    Anything with a Prolific PL2303 chip or a knock-off of the prolific chip may have issues.

19. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It's unfortunate you had to reinstall, but glad to hear it worked.

Thanks for reporting your suspicions about the Belkin adapter. It's something we can ask when/if this happens to someone again.

20. Arf

Arf Standard User

Yes, I have that Tripplite adapter coming.
    The Belkin adapter/driver thing is the only thing I can think of that I did to the pc before the problem happened, related to usb connection anyway.
    Thanks again for your support.