Completely black subs

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Terry Corridan, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Terry Corridan

Terry Corridan Standard User

Can anyone please help. I have an SBIG STF-8300 monochrome CCD camera with a SBIG FW8-8300 filter wheel and I have a problem with occasional subs failing. They just turn out completely black with only the very brightest stars showing up. This happens approximately once every 20/25 subs and has been a problem ever since I purchased the camera in January 2014. Has anyone experienced this kind of problem?

Thanks, Terry

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can you upload a FITS of one of these problematic frames?
    What software are you using to take the images?
    Have you downloaded the latest SBIGUDrv and checked for latest drivers and firmware?
    ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/SetupDriverChecker64.exe

3. Terry Corridan

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

A typical failed image is attached. I am currently using Sequence Generator Pro for data capture but I have used CCDOPS in the past with the same results.

I haven’t downloaded any SBIG drivers since the initial install but I will try that today.

Thanks for your help, Terry.

Attached Files:

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The FITS file is a bit odd - there is no noise in the image, and the pixels are all either 0 or 65535. Nothing in-between.
    Can you take a bias and upload it as well?
    You might also do this with CCDOPS.

You might want to update to the latest SGP as well. Your version is behind and there are a few bugs that have been fixed since, not sure if they impact what you are doing.

As an unrelated aside, it looks like you haven't got any optical parameters set up in the software, as it lists the pixel scale as 0. You might want to fix that too.

5. Terry Corridan

I have just upgraded my Sequence Generator Pro, as you recommended. The install went okay. I have also upgraded the SBIG drivers. I hope to do some imaging tonight so I will be able to check out how things are running. I will get back to you.

Terry.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  6. Terry Corridan

Hi Colin,

I did some imaging last night and would you believe another failed image (attached and a bias file attached). The software upgrades did not improve matters. Any ideas?

Terry.

Attached Files:

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, the bias was taking with the old version of SGP, and it looks great.
    And the OIII with the latest SGP is bad, not even a baseline of noise.
    @Doug is going to need to have a look at this.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Let's try and rule out a software problem; if things aren't sequenced properly you can get corrupted images.

Can you run a long sequence of exposures using CCDOPS? See if you can replicate it with different software.

9. Tim

Tim Staff Member

You stated you updated the drivers, but did you update the firmware as well in the SBIG Driver Checker?

10. Terry Corridan

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the message. I did not update the firmware but I have now. I tried out the camera last night and all went well but it was only for a short period of time before the clouds rolled in. I will let you know how I get on when I get some better weather.

Many thanks, Terry.

11. Terry Corridan

Hi Tim,

I have done about ten hours imaging now with not a single failed sub. It looks like we have found a solution. Thanks for your help.

Regards, Terry.

12. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Glad to hear it. :)