Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud Cannot connect Aluma 47-10

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Richard S Post, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Richard S Post

Richard S Post Cyanogen Customer

I updated SBIG drivers, ran DLAPI installer on a windows 8.1 laptop which I use for camera testing at home. I am using MDL v5.24. When in setup for camera under the dropdown, I do not see DL Imaging and thus cannot connect.
    The camera seem to power up correctly. I have rebooted the computer after software installation. I can see SBIG camera A and B in device manager which reports device working properly. I am working just with the camera, not FW, etc.

What next?

Thanks, Dick Post

2. Richard S Post

I added MDL v6.20 and was able to get the DL Imaging in the dropdown. Can MDL v5.24 run the Aluma?
    With V6, I could connect to the camera, open the Advanced tab and read the camera setup and specs, but when clicked the Cooler tab, MDL froze. I then switched to a different, newer laptop running Win 10 with MDL v6.20, latest SBIG drivers and DLAPI. Again, I can connect, take bias and darks, but again, it appears to freeze when I select Cooler. Then after several minutes, the Cooler GUI appears and I can set the temperature. I set it for -10 and it works correctly, but when I click Cooler again, the MDL is frozen. No funtions on the Camera Control work. The camera can not be disconnected, Cooler turned off, and exposures are not possible, etc. Its been 10 min and the Cooler GUI has not come up after selecting Cooler.
    Thanks, Dick Post

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No, V5.24 cannot run the Aluma. It is over five years old, and predates the Aluma by many years.

If you are running 6.20 you may need to update the firmware. Go to Start menu DL Config Utility, select your camera, then click Download FPGA, then click Update FPGA.

4. Richard S Post

I thought the latest firmware is 14 which is installed.
    Dick

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay I think it's best if you could arrange a time for @Adam Robichaud to TeamViewer in to your machine to have a look.

6. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

7. Richard S Post

After Adam provide the threading information, I connected, took calibration frames at firmware 14 on a laptop at home. I am now at my observatory and installed the latest DLAPI, updated the firmware to 16 and the -latest SBIG drivers. I tried to connect with MDL6.20 and get - error opening camera 1 Opend Device Failed:27. I have done all the usual - restarted MDL, upplugged and pluged in the USB, restarted the computer. No change. I have the USB plugged directly into my computer, an i7 win 7 x64 with 16GB. I can put the guide camera in place of the Aluma and it connects.

Any advice?

Thanks, Dick

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You're trying to use the wrong drivers. Error 27 is an SBIG Universal error.

New cameras use the new DL Imaging drivers. Older models use SBIG Universal.

9. Richard S Post

Thanks, I think I'll remember this in the future.
    Dick