fw7-stx cfw busy error

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Bethel College, May 24, 2019.

1. Bethel College

Bethel College Standard User

Took the filter wheel apart to blow some dust off of filters. After reassembling and reconnecting all cables the wheel doesn't turn. The filter wheel says it is connected and reports that it is moving before returning the error. We did NOT hot plug it. It had worked previously.

2. Bethel College

also, the i2c out port on the ao does have a red light on when filter is connected to it.

3. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Does the AO work when connected directly to the camera, filter wheel disconnected? That should tell you whether the I2C port is functional. Next, you might try taking the cover off of the FW and watching how it responds, looking for any physical hinderances. Nothing about blowing dust off of the filters should cause the unit to fail.

-Bill

4. Bethel College

You can hear and see the AO moving when connected to the camera as well as when the FW is connected to the I2C out port of the AO. With the FW open you can get the wheel to spin freely by releasing motor spring tension on the drive.

5. Bill

Did you try getting the wheel to index while watching it? Does the wheel initialize (spin) on power up?

6. Bethel College

It does not spin on power up. I re verified that with the filter wheel unplugged, I was able to exercise the ao with ccdops.

7. Bill

Have you tried a direct connection with the camera, not through the AO?

8. Bethel College

Yes, with the hard wired pig tail. Should I try it with the cable that goes to the ao? I am away from the camera now and won't be able to try anything for awhile.

9. Bill

No, I was just wondering how it (the FW) reacted when connected directly to the camera. I think it's going to need to come in. It seems apparent that it isn't working properly. Send me an email, bill@sbig.com, and I'll give you the details for sending it in.

-Bill

10. Bethel College

Not looking at it now, I guess that maybe there isn't an I2c in port on the fw

11. Bill

No, there isn't. The serial cable (pigtail) from the filter wheel goes into the I2C connector in the camera.

12. Bethel College

Would be very interested in what you think caused the board to fail on the third time it was powered up.

13. Bill

Can't say for sure Roger. I didn't see any visible evidence. It's odd that it happened the first time it was powered after blowing dust off the filters.

-Bill

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019