ST-i won't attach to driver

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by DaveLane, Jun 18, 2019.

1. DaveLane

DaveLane Cyanogen Customer

I have an ST-i guider that used to work and just stopped working last week (I don't know how long it has been since actually used for imaging, but at least before last week it would attach to USB and show up in the Device Manager).

Anyhow, when connected, Windows 10 does not recognize it and it shows up as "Unknown device". The current drivers are installed and in fact another SBIG camera works fine on the same PC. I tried it on my laptop (after installing camera drivers) and the same thing happens. I tried it on the old observatory pc (still on, but used for an all sky cam), and it connected but identified it as an "ATIK USB 2.0 Chromicamera" (I have ATIK drivers on that pc for the all sky cam).

This makes me think somehow the USB Vendor ID became scrambled. Any thoughts on this?

--- Dave, Director, Burke-Gaffney Obs.

2. DaveLane

In followup - the vendor id that is coming up is: 04B4, device id 8613.

This equates to:

Cypress Semiconductor
    CY7C68013 EZ-USB FX2 USB 2.0 Development Kit

Not the 0D97 vendor ID associated with SBIG.

--- Dave

3. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Are you able to manually browse and select the SBIG driver for the "Unknown Device"?

1.) Click "Browse my computer for driver software"
    2.) Click "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
    3.) Uncheck "Show compatible hardware"
    4.) Select from the Manufacturer list "SBIG"
    5.) Choose "SBIG USB-64 with firmware".

4. DaveLane

Tim,

I have been able to install manually the driver on both my office laptop and the observatory control computer. It does show errors from Windows when choosing a driver for what it thinks is the wrong device. Afterwards it shows up and disappears from the Device Manager list when plugged/unplugged.

However, in PHD2 or Maxim DL, it won't connect. In MaxIm DL, the camera does not appear in the SBIG Universal camera list and in fact when plugged in, it prevents my other SBIG camera from being connected or found (STXL-11002). If you unplug the ST-i, the other camera will connect.

--- Dave

5. Tim

Tim Staff Member

To be clear, is the camera working correctly on any other computer? Are you using a USB hub? Tried other USB ports?

It sounds as though the USB chipset is corrupted, and likely will need reprogramming. I am not certain what caused this...it could be a hardware failure. You should contact Bill Lynch and send it to him for service.

Bill likes this.
  6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Dave is in Canada, so probably would be better to send it to Ottawa.

7. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Ok. I will provide the RMA details via PM.