FW7-STX Problem

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Martin Pugh, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Martin Pugh

Martin Pugh Cyanogen Customer

Got the same problem here Bill. This is a new STX16803 and FW7. I am getting CFW busy error - have tried CFW9 and FW7-STX in CCDOps, no change.

2. Martin Pugh

I can also confirm the carousel does not spin up on powering up.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sounds like it's not even powering up. First thing to check is the cable between the camera and the filter wheel.

4. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Were the FW's plugged into the camera while the camera was energized?

-Bill

5. Martin Pugh

Of course not - the camera and Fw were assembled out of the box hence power was not even applied until it was put on the scope.

Doug - what is there to check? That pigtail can only go into one socket on the camera-how do I check it?

6. Martin Pugh

The other issue is that the filters being used are 1mm thick, so the clamp does not hold them in place - do you not supply plastic shims with the FW in this case?

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

This 1 mm thing is something very new; you're only the second person to mention using them. I think they're from Astronomik? They have spacers available.

The filter wheel definitely worked before it was shipped. Maybe the cable unplugged inside the wheel during filter installation? Best pop the lid off and check that. Also make sure there isn't something mechanically preventing the wheel from rotating.

8. Martin Pugh

Ok, no internal cables are loose and all wires appear in tact. The carousel moves easily when the motor is pushed back and obviously is a little harder when the motor is in its normal position.
    So, how do I check whether it is the I2C port on the camera or the FW itself?

9. Martin Pugh

I got the carousel to move on power up, but only by 1 filter position. I did this by removing the pigtail and providing separate 12v power to the FW. So I also put in a USB-Serial converter into the Rs232 port but CCDOPS does not recognise it....I have tried Auto, FW7-STX, and CFW9, selected the appropriate COM port, but CCDOPS does not retain the info. You click on filter set up again, and everything has been set back to ‘none’. Regardless, when I initially selected the FW type, it reports ‘moving, but it does not move and filter selection comes up as ‘unknown’. You do not seem to be able to define a COM port for the FW in TSX.

What does this suggest?

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If you move the wheel manually and then power it up again, does the wheel return to the same home position again? That would at least establish that the wheel's microcontroller is working.

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay we think we have a handle on the problem. Stand by for a solution.