All-Sky Camera and RS-232 optical isolators

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Vance Bagwell, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Vance Bagwell

Vance Bagwell Standard User

Hi fellas,
    On page 9 of the SBIG all-sky camera manual, an optical isolator is recommended to prevent damage to the attached PC or camera. I've purchased the recommended B&B Electronics 9SPOP2 RS-232 isolator and cannot establish a connection to the all-sky camera when this isolator is placed inline. When removed, connection is successful and the camera captures are good. I'm connecting from the PC's COM1 with the factory-provided M-F serial cable to the camera for the indoors test. When the isolator is inline, the isolator's DTE side faces the PC and DCE faces the all-sky camera.

I've tried a few things; rebooted the camera while holding the guide button to reset baud to 9600 and tried the RS-232 test (in camera setup) speeds between 9600 to 115,200 baud. I've also tried reversing the isolator per B&B's recommendation with appropriate serial cables to maintain connections. No dice any way I try it.

Since this was recommended in your manual, where there any application notes on how you connected it or the settings you found successful with the isolator? I might have a DOA isolator but wanted to first confirm your settings. Thanks.
    -Vance

Attached Files:

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

What computer are you using? This is also in the help documents for the isolator:

If your port meets the low voltage requirements of RS-562, you will not be able to use this isolator. An RS-562 port will
    only produce about 3.7 volts, which is not adequate to power the isolator. Typically the only devices that have this type
    of port are palmtop or very low power laptop computers.
    Do you know the specs of your serial port on the computer?

3. Vance Bagwell

Vance Bagwell Standard User

Acer Veriton VN2620G-UC101X. This PC *should* provide standard voltage on the COM1 from the PC. I'll test the PC's serial voltage on pins 4 and 7 to ground (pin 5) tonight when I get home. Per B&B Electronics, measuring from pin 5 (ground) to pins 1, 6, or 8 should produce at least 7 vdc on one of these lines FROM the camera (the isolator must be powered from BOTH the PC and camera sides). On page 35 of the all-sky manual, it shows the camera is providing 12V out on pin 9 with pins 1, 6, and 8 as "not connected". Did this ever work for SBIG because it may require a jumper from pin 9 to 8? - VB