Alternative to CA-ST402BATTERY

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by JRK, Jun 23, 2018.

1. JRK

JRK Standard User

Hello,

We're interested in using our SBIG-402M in various remote locations, and may not have access to a power outlet. We already have a Celestron Power Tank used for powering our mount. Unfortunately, the shipping for the 12VDC Battery Cable (SKU: CA-ST402BATTERY) is $40 on top of the $60 price tag. Are either of these alternatives compatible with the SBIG-402M?

Cheaper option, but described as "modified sine wave" which may introduce noise (?): https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300W-...rds=true+sine+wave+inverter+car+charger&psc=1

Or, a bit pricier, but seems to be a pure sine wave: https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Power...&keywords=true+sine+wave+inverter+car+charger

Thanks, and if there are other options in addition to these two, I am happy to hear it.

- Julia

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

As another customer, my experience has been that you want the cleanest power you can get.
    I'd just order the battery cable. You'll spend $40 on gas getting to a dark site.
    On rare times when I use an inverter, it's a Xantrex Pure Sine, and costs a lot more and is a lot better built than the ones you've listed.

3. JRK

JRK Standard User

Thanks for the input. In case it's helpful for anyone else reading the thread (namely, customers outside of Canada with the same shipping costs), I ended up looking at some third party websites that can ship to the US for less. The item is available through Adorama, but the description says it is the center-negative version and the picture doesn't show the threaded collar; buyer beware, this may be the wrong version. The item is also on Astronomics and has the correct description and picture and can ground ship in the US for $8.95.