Resolved An invalid parameter was passed to the plug-in driver (-3)

Discussion in 'Scripting and Programming' started by George Silvis, Mar 24, 2019.

1. George Silvis

George Silvis Cyanogen Customer

I'm getting this on a camera object when I reference cam.ImageReady

Is there a list of error codes and conditions?

more detail
    - It is a FLI camera
    - The error seems to be related to temperature setting
    If I don't set temperature, it gets by
    - Or it is related to whether the script connects to the camera or the camera is already connected.

I'm really just thrashing around here. The script has run fine on other machines, cameras.

The computer faulting is an XP and the Maxim 5.24

I've attached the full script.The error gets thrown on line 157, but not until the cam.Expose has been executed.

Thanks,
    George

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

This is really old stuff... one of my colleagues will have to take a look.
    Which FLI camera, and what version of their camera plug-in are you using?

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Do you get an error if you operate the camera from MaxIm DL's user interface instead of a script?

Do you have up-to-date FLI drivers installed? (They provide the MaxIm DL plug-in also.)

Please note that Version 5 is six years old - we have limited ability to provide technical support for it. You may need to upgrade.

4. George Silvis

This problem does not exist when running from GUI or via ACP. Only when running a vbscript.

We had the CCDPlugFingerLakes.dll version 1.1.4.0 in place
    I found version 1.2.3 on the FLI site and tried it.
    Same outcome:
    C:\Data\Code\StdDarks.vbs(157, 9) MaxIm DL 5: An invalid parameter was passed to
    the plug-in driver. (-3)

What can the (-3) mean?
    Thx
    George

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

http://www.diffractionlimited.com/help/maximdl/Camera-Specific_Error_Codes.htm

The (-3) code means an invalid parameter was passed to the plug-in driver... not terribly helpful.

We don't have access to FLI's current plug-in driver code, as they maintain it in-house. I do have an extremely old version (circa 2005); a quick look at that showed several lines that produce that error code. Most were just internal sanity checks. There was one line of code that, if it still exists in the current plug-in, could well be the culprit:

if (FLISetExposureTime ( CCDDev, Exposure * 10 )) return RS_IllegalInput;

It appears that the exposure time being sent to the FLI camera driver is out of the legal range.

What exposure time is your script sending to the camera? Is that a valid exposure time for the camera?

That's all I can suggest. If that's not the issue you'll have to get assistance from FLI.

6. George Silvis

Problem solved.

The FLI plug requires that you set both BinX and BinY if you are going to set them. If you set only one of them then the Expose command gets ignored and the next time you do a ImageReady you get the fault I describe above.

Other cameras did not have a problem with just setting BinX.

Might be that XYBinning was True for the FLI...

Anyway, moving forward. Thank you for you patience and suggestions.
    George

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Glad to hear you got it resolved.