Announcement re ST-402, ST-1603, ST-3200

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Doug, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We are discontinuing the ST-402, ST-1603, and ST-3200 cameras due to obsolete components.

Don't worry, these cameras will be back shortly as improved STF models!

The STF provides for faster readout than the original ST design. By switching to the STF platform we will be able to continue to support these sensors moving forward.

Stay tuned for details.

2. Icylander1

Icylander1 Standard User

SBIG had a lot of hardware accessories for older cameras which could be looked at online and then purchased. Things such as power supplies, camera adapters, etc and those things necessary to support SBIG cameras as things failed or became old. Can't find any of that online anywhere. Has such support gone away? All I see is stuff for new cameras. Supporting older cameras was a big reason for buying SBIG stuff, hardware that could not be found anywhere else. Things fail and one needs to know that there are replacement parts available for expensive cameras, even if the cameras are several years old.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Best approach for replacement parts for older models is to contact Bill Lynch - bill@sbig.com

We don't list them on the web site, but we do have some obsolete parts available - but not everything. The previous management didn't do a good job of maintaining a supply of repair parts. We're working to improve on that situation. Right now we are purchasing some parts for the STL camera power supply boards, so we can continue to repair them. Also we have identified a source for compatible replacement power supplies for the old round ST-7 series cameras, although those power supplies are also obsolete so I don't know how long the remaining distributor inventory will last.

As for the current ST-402 series cameras, we'll be able to repair those no problem. If we have to replace the main board, we'll use the new STF board.

4. Icylander1

Icylander1 Standard User

What I like about the ST-402 is the QE of the CCD chip. Will the new STF series use the same Kodak chips? Hopefully that is what you mean when you say the new STF platform will support these sensors. Any news on when these cameras might become available?

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes, we are moving the KAF-0402, KAF-1603, and KAF-3200 sensors into the STF platform.

I can't predict the release date yet.

6. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Standard User

Hi Doug.
    And what about spare parts for the old good ST8XME?
    I have one of these wonderful cameras, year 2006, and I'm wondering if I can trust in a repair if things gone bad (hopefully never, but who knows...)
    Regards.
    Lorenzo from Italy

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

So far Bill has mostly been able to fix them.

8. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Standard User

Thanks for the feedback, Doug.
    All the best.
    Lorenzo