Staff Assigned: Tim AS340M Frequent Power Reset Issue

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Sufen, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Sufen

Sufen Standard User

Hi,
    I've had the AS340M attached on a metal pillar and installed on top of the building. The camera is wired with less than 60-ft cable with direct serial port connection.

For the last images and setting, the baud rate is set at 115.2 Kbaud and it works well. And the computer and camera were left live without shutting down for test. It was gone disconnected when we shut down the computer for other hardware plug-ins (serial connection of the AS340M remains unchanged). Once PC reboot, the connection with the AS340M was gone! Do we need to every time to manually reset the power when the PC is shut down? We have encountered this situation earlier with the highest baud rate to see if it works - it turned out not working. Therefore, we followed the instruction / steps to power reset, but without removing cable or port connection.

Please advise me if this is deemed a normal situation/process of what we encountered and explained as above. The camera is supposed to fix at a site that we don't often reach to do manual reset, but it's there for remote observations instead.

Please advise. Thank you.

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Is there any error message at all?

Is the COM port set correctly in the software?

3. Sufen

Sufen Standard User

Hi,
    Thanks for your replies. I've managed to reset the camera.
    Initially, I tried few times to connect (COM port was correct) and manual reset was the only way.

Last week, I made it by simply turning ON/OFF the power and skipped the port test and connection, follow by restart the camera software and went directly for "capture image". It was just done.

Thank you.

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Are you using a USB to serial adapter? These have been known to be unreliable. You could try a different adapter, or a native serial port if you have one.

5. Sufen

Sufen Standard User

Hi Tim,

I thought I have had the problem fixed but it appeared again and again.

Since my last post for the lost connection, I managed to connect the AS camera to computer and started capturing. After 1 month plus later, the vision was lost again. Everytime, I tried to power down and power on the camera. Connection was successfully built but no images were captured and downloaded. It was until May 11, 2017, we came out a diagnosis that the original power adapter was failed to power the camera therefore, I replaced a new adapter and it worked flawlessly until couple of minutes ago. Please see the attached pictures that I have retrieved from the photo files. Pictures are in order numbering that we knew that how's happening.

Please help to identify the problems, and how I shall resolve it.

Your prompt response is highly appreciated.

Regards,
    Cho

Attached Files:

6. Tim

Tim Staff Member

these look like data corruption/loss. Have you tested with another serial cable and PC?

7. Sufen

Sufen Standard User

This is connected with a USB converter. The power adapter was reinstalled on the 11th May and the camera had been working well since then until 18th May. It keeps working, transferring data but now it stops.

I only have one set of PC. Every time I think I've troubleshot the problem, it seems to function normally. But it is actually only lasting for a short period. I do monitor it from a remote PC. Since the camera has been down for capturing, I have to return to the site to get something replaced. So far, what is the problem you could diagnose? As it was working perfect for 1 week!