ASC340C Image is "colorful static"

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Sean M., Jun 16, 2017.

1. Sean M.

Sean M. Standard User

Hi there,

I have the ASC340C set up and has been working reliably for at least a year (maybe two), until about last week. Out here in the North Dakota praire, there were some serious storms that blew through. After those, the ASC produced images that look like the attached. I am unsure if this problem was a direct result of the storm or not.

I was able to get images that were normal, some odd looking columns here and there, for a few minutes, but then it was back to the current odd color static pattern. I've tried adjusting the baud settings, changing out the Serial/USB adapter, resetting the firmware, and the good ol' turning it off and turning it back on again.

Any thoughts? Is this a hardware or software issue?

-Sean M., UND Space Studies

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Doesn't sound like software. Software doesn't tend to rot over time (well okay Windows 10 updates have kinda jumped the shark on that one... but I really don't think it could do this.)

If you shine a bright light into the lens, can you tell if the shutter is actuating?

3. Sean M.

Sean M. Standard User

Thanks for the reply, Doug.

After watching the camera, it does appear that the shutter is actuating.

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

You will likely need to contact Bill for service:

Authorized Repair Center
    Bill Lynch – SBIG Service & Repair Center

3769 Constellation Road, Unit D
    Lompoc, CA 93436
    Bill Lynch – email
    Phone: (805) 308-6979

Note: Please contact our authorized service & repair center for an RMA number prior to returning your equipment.