Attaching AOX to Optex 2" TCF-S Focuser

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Al Ryan, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Al Ryan

Al Ryan Cyanogen Customer

The AO unit does not come with a nosepiece to attach to the 4 bolt adapter plate. Where do I go and what do I look for? The TCF-S focuser on my scope has a 2" compression barrel that my STL-11000 nosepiece fit into, but the STL adapter plate and opening is considerably smaller than the AOX opening. My config I hope is correct-- SBIG's self-guided filter wheel is sandwiched between the AOX on one side and STXL 16200 on the other. All appeared to work properly when bench tested using MaximDL.

Should I be looking to change to a 3" focuser and nosepiece, or can I use a 2" drawtube/nosepiece adapter that will screw into the AOX adapter plate without losing any light through the system.
    -Al

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The AO-X is designed for the STXL’s adapter to bolt on the front.

You may be able to go down to 2” but you should check whether that will excessively vignette the main chip or the guide sensor.

For custom adapters I always recommend preciseparts.com

That said, your setup will be a lot more rigid mechanically with the 3” optec.