Auto Dark not working on stt8300

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Ettu, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Ettu

Ettu Cyanogen Customer

I have the STI8300, bought as the filter wheel and AO pkg, using M-DL pro.
    When doing an auto dark exposure, the auto dark subtracted images come out black, no matter how I stretch the image: As though the shutter doesn't close when taking the dark frame, and it's subtracting a light from the light frame. No alarms come up. I can manually create and subtract dark frames. I use an st-402 as a guider, and it's auto dark function works fine. If I Switch the 8300 & 402 btwn camera 1 and 2, the problem follows the camera.

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

There is no STI8300. Do you mean the ST-i, or the STF-8300?

To be clear, you are manually able to take a dark frame? You are also able to manually take a light frame? Only Auto-dark is not working?

3. Ettu

Ettu Cyanogen Customer

Yes, an ST-i 8300
    To get a dark frame, I have to take it the old fashioned way, by taking a "light" frame with the scope covered. Plain light frames are no problem, giving good images. Only the auto dark is not working. When the auto dark option is selected, the exposure sequence takes a dark frame, (without any prompt to first cover the scope) then a light frame, and then shows the results. But the results are a uniformly black image with no dynamic range among the pixels, no image.

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

There is no such thing as an ST-i 8300. It's either an ST-i......or......an STF-8300. They are 2 completely different cameras.

If you have to cover the scope, then I would agree. It sounds like the shutter is not working. Can you verify it is actually opening and closing? If it isn't, you should send it in for service.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What is the camera's serial number?

6. Ettu

Ettu Cyanogen Customer

My apologies, I have an STT 8300
    s.n. = T16040841
    purchased Sept 2016

I visually checked if the shutter is working, and it is mechanically closing and opening appropriately during dark and light phases of a simple auto-dark acquisition.
    I'm attaching the M-DL settings file, and a screen shot that shows a simple auto-dark as acquired by an ST-402 autoguider, and the results of the STT-8300, with the auto dark on the left half of the image, and the no calibration version overlaid on the right. The scrn stretch data is shown below for each.
    Unfortunately I did not save the auto-dark image. Hopefully you can help me understand why I don't see anything in the auto-dark image.
    btw, I'm trying out my equipment at a dark site without internet access, so I'm a little slow replying

Attached Files:

7. Tim

Tim Staff Member

The only way this can happen is if the light and dark frames are identical. So it would seem the auto-dark dark frame is actually a light frame, and they subtract out, leaving a blank frame. I am not certain how this could happen, and no one else has reported anything like this, so I can only assume it is a problem localized to your system/hardware.

The easiest first step to troubleshoot this issue is to reset MaxIm DL to default settings and see the problem goes away. You can *temporarily* restore the default settings by renaming the "Settings" folder located in "Docuements/MaxIm DL 6/" to something like "SettingsBACKUP". Then once you restart MaxIm DL, it will recreate the Settings folder with the defaults.

Once you have restored the default settings, connect *only* the camera that is not able to correctly create an autodark and try it again. Be sure to ONLY connect 1 camera (no other hardware) and leave ALL of the settings at the defaults.

To revert back, delete the new (default) Settings folder, and rename the previous one back to "Settings" from "SettingsBACKUP".

8. Ettu

Ettu Cyanogen Customer

okay, I'll give that a try at my next opportunity.