autoguiding - pulse guiding

Discussion in 'General' started by RFA, Aug 15, 2019.

1. RFA

RFA Standard User

Is MaximDL able to guide with QHY-5II mono camera? Is pulse guiding possible?
    Has anybody experience with it´s performance?
    Thank you for your hints.
    RFA

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

MaxIm DL can guide with practically any camera that it can connect to. Assuming QHY supplies a native MaxIm DL or ASCOM driver (I believe the have the latter), then we can use it as a guide camera.

I don't know if that model has guider relays or not. If so and it is properly supported in their driver then it will work. Otherwise you can send PulseGuide commands directly to your GOTO telescope from MaxIm DL.

3. RFA

RFA Standard User

Hi Doug, thank you very much for this prompt reply. I prefer pulse guiding from MaximDL direct to the mount.
    Best regards, RFA

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I had one personally; it's drivers are a bit flaky; it works ok; images are noisy.

5. RFA

RFA Standard User

Hi Colin, thanks for this hint. Do you think a Lodestar would be better? But I have red in some forums, that their USB micro connector is susceptible to failure. My remote observatory is 1100km far in Italy in an area with no service available. So, I need very reliable equipment. Any other sensitive, reliable guiding cam availabe?

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The Lodestar is a good camera. As you say the only known weak point is the USB connector, which can be a bit fragile mechanically. I've broken one myself! You want to be very careful plugging in the cable - don't push too hard and make sure you have it in the correct orientation. Also route the cable so it cannot get accidentally tugged by getting hooked on something. One advantage of being remote is that you aren't there to break it. :) They otherwise work quite well.

7. RFA

RFA Standard User

thanks for your hints

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

One thing with the LodeStar - (a good camera) - make sure to do a hot pixel map. The particular CCD in it has a few hotspots, and some programs out there may accidentally try to guide on a hot pixel. Also, some of their cameras don't have square pixels, but its not really an issue.

9. RFA

RFA Standard User

ok will do so.