Autosave Script without Image Capture?

Discussion in 'Scripting and Programming' started by Franklin Holub, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Franklin Holub

Franklin Holub Standard User

I have been using vbs scripts in autosave sequences for years to handle auto-focus (using my own auto-focus program), telescope parking, calibration generation etc.

Simple question... Is there a way to run a script in an autosave sequence that does NOT generate an image first?

For instance, after acquiring light frames I run a "park.vbs" to park my scope/dome. In other cases I might auto-focus after a filter change. Of course that creates unwanted fits files each time. Then the autosave sequence goes on to create flats, darks, etc. For these "unwanted" images I set bias and binning just to make a small image that is easy to dispose of, but really I'm wondering if there might be an equivalent file type of "None" or "Script Only" or some other way to do this.

Thank You!
    Frank

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If you want to take a single image, use CCDCamera.Expose. It doesn't save anything unless you write a script to save it.

3. Franklin Holub

I'm not taking an image with the script - I'm calling the script from a "Slot" in the Autosave Setup. So, for example, I use a "Slot" to run a park script between my light frames and calibration frames. However, doing so generates an unwanted image. Is there a way to have a Slot run a script but not take an image?

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Currently no.

We could put that on the "wish list", though I am hesitant. People have "finger trouble" all the time, and if that were turned on by accident it would cause people to lose images. They tend to get mad about that, as you can imagine.

5. Franklin Holub

As someone who has written a fair bit of code myself, I 100% understand how "finger challenged" users can be. Anyway - it's only a very minor inconvenience as is...

So maybe a new Slot "Type" of "Script Only"?

Think of the possibilities! ;)

Thanks!
    Frank