Bad HDMI connection between guider CCD and STLX 11002 camera

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by yves jongen, May 19, 2015.

1. yves jongen

yves jongen Cyanogen Customer

Hi all,
    I own a STLX 11002 camera, and use it generally successfully. Recently, I started quite often to get black images (no noise, intensity really 0.00) from the guider CCD, while the main camera is working fine. I have traced the origin of the problem to the HDMI short cable connecting the guider CCD in the filter box to the main camera. This short HDMI cable, supplied with the system is relatively heavy, and is not well constrained by the HDMI connectors located in the filter box and in the camera. I notice that if I exert the slightest lateral force on this cable, the contact is lost. Often, the weight of the cable when the telescope rotates slowly during the night is enough to lose the contact after several hours. I tried to tie the cable with cable straps to stabilize the situation, but the tying always resulted in some lateral force in the HDMI cable and I had no contact anymore after tying the cable. So I took the cable ties off.
    Any suggestion?
    Friendly regards
    Yves Jongen

Attached Files:

2. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Yves,
    It was nice to speak with you. I do agree it is the board and I agree with your solution.

3. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Cyanogen Customer

I had the exact same problem as you Yves. I worked on it today as it's been intermittent for about a week now. I took the card out of the filter assembly and inspected the HDMI connector connections on it expecting to find a broken solder joint on one of the connections to the board but did not find any with high magnification. So I substituted another HDMI cable and It works great now although the cable is way too long. In order to relieve the stress that is produced from bending the cable to go from one connection to the other on the camera, I ordered some 90 degree connectors to plug into the filter assembly so the cable won't stick down, but go sideways. Before when I would wiggle the cable after getting a blank guider image, I could hear the shutter snap open/close as I wiggled the cable. That does not happen now with the temporary cable I installed today. I found that the original cable really did fit the female side of the connector on the filter wheel rather loosely. This temporary one fits a lot tighter in the connector. Here is a link to the 90 degree connectors on Amazon.. 8 bucks can't go wrong... I also found a short 1' cable so I ordered it also...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EKTN01S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

4. yves jongen

yves jongen Cyanogen Customer

Hi Dan, thank you so much. I will try this ASAP!
    Friendly regards
    Yves