bayer array to 3 images, r, g, b

Discussion in 'General' started by Sidney Johnston, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Sidney Johnston

Sidney Johnston Cyanogen Customer

Will MAXIM DL split a DSLR image into three images: a red pixel image, a green pixel image, and a blue pixel image?

I have tried the command COLOR / EXTRACT Bayer plane. But it seems to do something else, not make separate R, G, B images. The four corners of the command do not seem to separate the Bayer array by color of pixel

I am taking images of the Sun through a solar filter (sold as a 1 to 100,000 intensity reduction), and then through a set of Bessel filters in an Optec IFW filter wheel. The camera is attached to an 80 millimeter aperture telescope with a 560 mm focal length (F7), and the camera is a Canon 40 D DSLR with the IR-UV absorption filter removed by Hutech. So I have 5 images for a particular shutter speed: B, V, R, I infrared, and U ultraviolet.

Some radial structure in the images is interesting, and it would help to look at individual images from pixels with red, green, and blue Bayer array filters. This requires making 3 individual images from a DSLR image, the red, green, and blue pixels separately.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes, that's what the Extract Bayer Plane command does. The Bayer pattern on DSLRs looks like this:

bayer.png

So if you extract all four corners, you'll get one red image, two green images, and one blue image. (Depending on the camera the Bayer pattern may be offset by one in X and/or Y.)

Note that the resulting image will be monochrome. You can make it look red or green or blue with other commands; one option is Psuedo Color. But there's nothing to be gained by doing that in terms of analysing images.