Staff Assigned: Owen Lawrence Canon 6D & Canon 5DM4 support in Maxim DL Pro

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by steve hoffman, Dec 13, 2016.

1. steve hoffman

steve hoffman Standard User

I want to purchase Maxim DL Pro for my guidescope (ST-i) and DSLR imaging setup.

Please tell me if or when you plan to support these cameras.

thank you
    steve hoffman

2. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Staff Member

Steve,

All SBIG cameras are supported. In your email you were also asking about support for the Canon 6D and Canon 5D Mark IV?
    Our support team will know if these two DLSR's are supported.

I will make sure to send a note to our DSLR programmer.
    Regards
    Tim

Tim
    --
    Tim Puckett
    SBIG Imaging Systems
    http://www.sbig.com/
    Diffraction Limited
    http://www.diffractionlimited.com/
    Phone: 404-281-5686
    tpuckett@cyanogen.com
    http://twitter.com/SBIGIMAGING
    http://www.facebook.com/SBIG.cameras

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

4. steve hoffman

Thanks for your reply Doug. The site says the Canon 6D status = 6D (beta test)

Question: If I bought Maxim DL pro can I use the Beta version of the camera software? Is there a date when this 6D support software will be (in production) in general use?

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The "beta" 6D release works except for the mirror lock-up option. That should be sorted for the next update. If you don't use mirror lock-up then it works well.

The 6D support is included in the 6.13 production release... by "beta" we mean "still undergoing testing." You don't have to install anything extra.

6. steve hoffman

Okay Doug thanks again for your quick reply.

7. Chris Foster

Chris Foster Cyanogen Customer

I have been using Maxim DL with myh Canon T5i with no issues. I just purchased a Canon 6D. I am using the EOS II connection, but Maxim DL crashes every time I try to take an exposure. I starts collecting the data, but when it finishes, Maxim DL crashes. Windows baseically says Maxim DL has stopped working and needs to close. I have taken images sucessfully with BY EOS with the camera so I know that it is working correctly. And as I said, Maxim DL works with my Canon T5i. This points to the driver. When will the next version be out? Iam dead in the water.

8. Chris Foster

I verified that the mirror lock was disabled on the camera and that the options in Maxim DL is not checked for mirror lock and it is not. So there should be no mis-match related to mirror lock that is causing this system crashing. I tried it again and the same sequence occurred. It appears to be at the end of the exposure that the lockup occurs. All I get is that windows is trying to find a solution and cant - so Maxim DL shuts down.

Is there any other diagnostics that you want me to do here? Since the hardware is clearly working with other software and Maxim DL is working with my other Canon Camera, it is pretty clearly the Canon 6D driver that is having an issue as far as I can see.

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Cyanogen Customer

Chris - Owen at Diffraction was working on this, as I have a 6D and 5DmkIII that exhibit issues.

Did you install this patch?
    http://www.diffractionlimited.com/forum/threads/maxim-dl-v6-13-patch.2695/
    as it incorporates some improvements in the camera control in general.

Also, check that the Canon EOS utility isn't running in the background - I found that if I got that to not start with Windows or be launched when you plug in/power up the Canon, that things worked better generally. Especially at 2am when my brain gets fuzzy.

Owen may have some additional ideas on dealing with this.

10. Chris Foster

I am downloading the patch and installing it now. I checked and made sure that the Canon EOS utility is not running. I have it set to launch at connection/power-up and then close it right away. I will let you know if the patch works.

11. Chris Foster

Well the patch did not work. At least Maxim DL does not crash. However, after I run an exposure with the find star, It goes to reading and the progress bar reaches full but the image does not appear. It seems to be stuck in the image download. I tried both RAW and JPEC downloads with the same result. So we can conclude that the driver is the issue since changing the drive with the patch changed the behavior. However, it is still not working. Are there any diognostics or test you want me to try? I collected great imaging with the camera last night with BY EOS with no issues. I really want to use focus max and just paid for it.

thanks,

Chris Foster.

graham.bell.77770 likes this.
  12. Chris Foster

I took the camera off the telescope and hooked it up directly to my laptop. Now after taking the picture, Maxim DL crashes again. I will try another computer and see if that makes any difference.

13. Chris Foster

I tried the camera on a different computer. BYEOS had no issues. Maxim DL crashed on the first download. When do you think you can fix this?

14. Chris Foster

I was also able to get the camara working with Sequence Generator Pro and Nebulosity. I have not used these programs much, but they are working with the 6D

15. Colin Haig

Chris, Owen sent me some things to try on my end, suggest you send him a private message.

16. Colin Haig

Chris, I just did a trial run with my 6D and 6.13 with the .08 patch, and it seems to be working, although not ideally so.
    Here's how I can get it to go.
    Setup Camera:
    setupcanon.png

Did you try putting the camera setting as follows:
    M, ISO 6400, Drive single shot, f20, 1/60, Mirror Lock Off.
    Then in MaxIm DL, use these settings:
    optionscamerasettings.png

17. Chris Foster

18. Colin Haig

That was the patch. When you say it does not work on your system, can you be more specific?

19. Chris Foster

I did not change from the default setting in the exposure setting page. I did verify that the mirror lock was not checked. The drive would recognize the camera and show it as connected. I would then try a test exposure. This would start as expected, but once the shutter closed based on the click sound from the camera and the data started to download to the computer, the program would either get stuck with the download progress bar at the end or crash at that point.

Did you try a test exposure?

20. Colin Haig

Hi Chris, what firmware do you have in your 6D ?
    For fun, I upgraded mine from 1.1.6 to 1.1.7, and it is crashing now for me as well.