Staff Assigned: Owen Lawrence Canon 6D & Canon 5DM4 support in Maxim DL Pro

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by steve hoffman, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Chris Foster

Chris Foster Cyanogen Customer

I dont know which I have. I am at work so cant check my camera. It is a brand new camera so it "should " have the latest firmware. However, that is a huge clue.

2. Owen Lawrence

Owen Lawrence Staff Member

Hi Chris,

I deleted our Canon camera plugin (CCDPlugNeoEos.dll) and installed the latest patch, found here. Please do the same, in case there have been changes you didn't get yet. I don't think there are any, but this will certainly restore the DLL to the newest available version.

I tested it using the Canon 6D and everything works great. The most obvious difference is that the camera currently has Firmare V1.1.6. What version is in your camera?

I generally recommend using the 'B' setting on the camera dial. Set your "Bulb Exposure" to "1 and over" for the finest resolution. Otherwise, exposures near the 30 second mark tend to jump by large increments, since you're still using the camera's preset exposure times. That said, I also tried it on the 'M' setting and noticed no problems.

- Owen -

3. Chris Foster

Owen has sent me a new DLL file to try. I will install it and test tonight. I hope it works :)

4. Chris Foster

OK. I deleted the Dll as Owen suggested and re-installed the patch per Owen's e-mail. There was no improvement. THe exact same error occurred.

5. Chris Foster

I am running firmware 1.1.7.

Owen,

Which firmware was on your camera? Colin had issues when he upgraded to 1.1.7 also.

6. Owen Lawrence

Owen Lawrence Staff Member

It's 1.1.6.

- Owen -

7. Chris Foster

So this is looking more and more like an issue with the rev 1.1.7 firmware. My camera fails with 1.1.7, Owens camera works with 1.1.6. Colin's camera worked with 1.1.6 and then failed when upgraded to 1.1.7.

So Owen should upgrade to 1.1.7 and see if his camera fails. THen we know that it is something in that firmware revision that is the root cause.

8. Chris Foster

I was thinking of trying to back rev to 1.1.6, but I can seem to find it to download. Also, rev 1.1.7 only changes some sort of autofocus issue for one specific lens. Why would that totally hose the driver?

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Because Canon. They have a history of breaking the API when issuing firmware updates.

10. Chris Foster

Do you have a time line for when this will be resolved?

11. Chris Foster

I swapped back to my old Canon T5i to be able to use Maxim DL with PEMpro and had no issues with running it. Another indication that the issue is with the driver DLL and the Firmware revision of the Canon 6D - 1.1.7

12. Chris Foster

Any update? Any schedule?

13. Doug

Doug Staff Member

This will require investigation. It is not going to happen quickly.

14. Chris Foster

Could you be more specific? Are we talking days, weeks, months, years?

15. Chris Foster

I used the Nebulosity ASCOM driver and we able to get captures for the 6D with Maxim DL 6. This is not very convenient and the image download is very slow, but it did not crash.

16. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Not years and not days. It is difficult to be more specific when we don't know yet what is wrong.

17. Chris Foster

Any update on the issue or timing?

18. Chris Foster

The last update was a week ago. Any update? I dont what to move to another software package, but I can. I would like to keep using Maxim DL. However, if this keeps dragging on with no updates, I will be forced to. Please let me know.

19. Chris Foster

I have had no update in a while. Is this being worked on? Any updates? Please let me know.

20. Chris Foster

Its been another month. Any update???