Resolved Can't connect SBIG STXL 6303 E to computer via ethernet

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Lew C, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Lew C

Lew C Standard User

I can connect USB, Bill Lynch can connect to his computer through USB & Ethernet, so he sent it back. The USB would quit functioning after a few hundred images. I've got 2 USB relays between the camera and the house. Neither my STL 1001 E nor my STF 8300 M have this problem. I'm using my STL 1001 E for now because it is rock solid and reliable, even after taking 400,000+ images.

My question is this:

What do I need to do to get my STXL 6303 E running on ethernet? I've clicked "Detect" in the Misc/Graphics/Comm Setup and I have the ethernet software in the CCDOps folder. The cable is plugged into the camera and the computer (Gateway laptop, Win 7).

2. Lew C

Lew C Standard User

Adam, I am still waiting to hear from you. Please respond. Please? Please? Please?

Furthermore, the camera disconnects after taking a few hundred images, unexpectedly. I had the CCDOps set to 1200 images, and recently increased that # to 1400 in the Auto Grab mode.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  3. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Lew. The autodetect feature in CCDOps has never quite worked right. You're better off connecting to your camera via USB, going to "Camera" > "STX/STT" > "IP Properties ...", and noting the IP address of your camera that way. You may experience issues if your camera isn't on the same subnet as your computer (typically 192.168.1.*). A reboot will be required if you change any settings from this dialog. Once you've got the IP retrieved, you can plug it into the "Misc" > "Graphics/Comm Setup ..." dialog's "Ethernet" > "Address" field.

Re: the camera connection dropping out, can you upload a driver log that captures the error?

4. Lew C

Lew C Standard User

Thanks for the reply, Adam. The camera is not on the telescope right now, and the skies are filled with smoke from the fires in the part of the state where I am. As soon as I can get some clear skies to work on stars, I'll get the cameras switched on the next Tuesday (when my handyman comes, as I am unable to do it). He's strong, healthy and young (50-ish).

p.s. How do I find the "driver log"?

5. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

6. Lew C

Lew C Standard User

Re: the camera connection dropping out

I found out what the problem was: when my wife was connecting the camera, I had the dropped connection several times. It seemed like whenever there was any movement at the relay cable, it dropped out. We changed one of the relay cables and the camera has worked perfectly ever since! :)

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Ok that’s a simple solution! Glad you figured it out.