Can't install Maxim DL Demo

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by skyshooter, Oct 27, 2015.

1. skyshooter

skyshooter Standard User

I get an error code of 1152: Error extracting to the temporary location.
    Downloaded .exe file seems to have come in fine.

I am running Windows 64bit System 7 with Service Pack 2 installed Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, 8GB RAM, tons of HD space (over 4TB free across 2 HD's).

Any ideas? I am DL'ding off the link in the email I received on 10/20/2015

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Maybe there's junk blocking the install in your TEMP folder. To clear it out, do the following:

1. Run Command Prompt

2. Type "set temp" (without the quotes) and hit Enter. It will now display the path to your temp folder. On my machine that is:
    TEMP=C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Local\Temp

3. Delete all the files in that folder. (Some may refuse to delete - that's okay)

4. Try installing again.

3. skyshooter

skyshooter Standard User

Thanks Doug,
    Here is what the command tells me:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Chriss>set temp
    TEMP=C:\Users\Chriss\AppData\Local\Temp

When I try to open the folder:

C:\Users\Chriss>%temp%
    'C:\Users\Chriss\AppData\Local\Temp' is not recognized as an internal or externa
    l command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Chriss>

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Use your windows explorer and browse to C:\Users\Chriss\AppData\Local\Temp

Delete the files.

5. skyshooter

skyshooter Standard User

Thanks, forgot I kept Explorer around for things like this, was able to delete most all files (1.8GB) a few wouldn't delete. Still same message showing when I try to install the .exe file.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Searched on this particular error online. Recommended procedure is to delete temporary files, which you have done, and then reboot and try installing again. Make sure you are using an Administrator account to install.

(Another procedure for clearing temporary files - Windows Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System tools -> Disk Cleanup.)

7. skyshooter

skyshooter Standard User

Thanks for your help Doug, still no luck, I am running Disk cleanup now will see if that works.
    P.S. Yes running in administrator mode. This is a personal PC nobody else uses it.

8. skyshooter

skyshooter Standard User

After running all cleaning and Disk "junk" removal programs I can think of I still get the same error notice:

1152: Error extracting to the temporary location

Not too sure how to proceed, I've had no issues running Maxim DL on XP some years ago on my partner in astronomy, machine. He upgraded recently to Win 7 and DL6 with no issues. Windows 7 seems to be running all my other programs and installs fine, in fact even better than XP ever did, I have not had any issues of crashing with any other program I've installed so far (knock on wood). I have run Windows updates as of today, and seem to be current as possible, I also installed the latest ASCOM, and JMRI (model railroad software) neither of these had any issues, so installing other programs seems to run fine.

9. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Have you tried downloading a fresh copy of the MaxIm DL install file?

10. David_Tucson

David_Tucson Standard User

I am running XP and get the same error. But I don't have the same folder structure and set temp isn't an acceptable command in command prompt.

11. David_Tucson

Support for a $600 product SUCKS!!!

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

All versions of Windows will accept "SET TEMP" as a command in the Command Prompt. Here is a screenshot from my XP observatory computer:

[​IMG]

You should see something similar to that (with your account name, not mine).

13. David_Tucson

My bad, I tried to run "set temp" LMAO! Step 1. of your instructions would have been clearer (to me) if it said type "command" in the "run" field. ;-)

I solved the problem nonetheless, I downloaded the instmsi30.exe and placed it in the same folder as the Maxim DL download, and then Maxim DL installed. But seriously, what a pain in my Uranus. :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  14. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    It's not surprising that Diffraction/MaxIM uses installation features of Windows that were not there in the 14 year old version of the OS. Good work finding the Windows Installer update.

15. David_Tucson

Ya, tell me about it. Have an old rebel that has no driver anymore for anything higher than XP, so I am stuck in time. But I feel younger! :)

16. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Ah, lacking the updated version of Windows Installer. Good to know.

It's getting more and more difficult to support XP systems as time goes on, since Microsoft has completely dropped support for it.

17. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    This makes me wonder how one can spend so much money on astronomy equipment, and then not worry so much about the computer.