CCDCamera.Filter issue

Discussion in 'Scripting and Programming' started by Tyler, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Tyler

Tyler Cyanogen Customer

I've written a script that runs after each image in an autosave sequence. Its purpose is to check a number of parameters and take appropriate action to pseudo-automate my imaging. It, amongst other things, periodically repositions the filter wheel to the luminance position before calling another vendor's software that performs the focusing. The other software uses CCDCamera.Filter to get what it believes is the current filter wheel position and uses this when calling CCDCamera.Expose for the focusing run. Problem is, the reported filter position is what is in the Maxim autosave sequence GUI (not the actual FW position that is shown in the Observatory>Status tab). This causes the focusing software to re-command the filter wheel back to a non-luminance position since they explicitly call out the reported filter as an argument in the CCDCamera.Expose..... Is there any way to query the actual filter wheel position and get the value that is already shown in Observatory>Status?

A similar issue was brought up in another post but looks like folks decided to keep things as is....
    http://forum.diffractionlimited.com/threads/ccdcamera-filter-mismatch-with-reality-after-startup.98/

Any help/work arounds are welcomed (I'm sure ACP and CCDComander can deal with this, but getting the actual filter wheel status seems like something I should be able to do from a simple script).

Thanks,

Tyler

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That property can only set the position of the wheel. It cannot read it back.

3. Tyler

Tyler Cyanogen Customer

Doug,
    Are you confirming there is no way to determine actual filter wheel position using the scripting interface? So if scripting, a user needs to command the FW to the desired position and keep track of where they commanded it rather than read the property back from Maxim?

[The attached script demonstrates the ability for CCDCam.filter to read back a value -unfortunately, it's the value found in the GUI, not the actual position...as I mentioned above. You'll need to update logpath and change to .vbs before running]

Attached Files:

4. Tyler

Tyler Cyanogen Customer

Diffraction limited team,
    Any chance you can follow up on my question.... would like to confirm:
    • there is no way to get an accurate assessment of the current filter wheel position (presumably what is shown in the observatory status tab) through the scripting interface
    I believe this is a true statement but would like confirmation. Thanks,
    Tyler

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes.