Changing background values on STi images. Causing guiding problems and star fades.

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by JoshuaHufford, Apr 22, 2017.

1. JoshuaHufford

JoshuaHufford Cyanogen Customer

Here are 2 screenshots showing the USB setup on my PC. I'm not sure how to read this but I think its showing that both SBIG cameras are on the same root hub? If this is the case how do I get it to a different one?

I'm working on doing testing with the cameras now, I can tell you the problem is still there if the ST-8300M camera is powered off but still physically connected to the PC. I'm checking to see if my friend who lives onsite can unplug everything but the STi from the PC, if not I'll have to test it next time I'm at the observatory. I've also attached a series of guide images during each test.

Attached Files:

2. JoshuaHufford

OK my friend was able to unplug everything USB from the PC except for the STi camera, we also used a different 15ft USB cable of good quality and I'm still seeing the same problem. I also tried with simple auto dark calibration which is what I normally use with this camera, and I also tried no calibration with the same result. I hope this is of some help, please let me know if you want any more tests done, I'll be happy to do it.

3. Kevin Morefield

Kevin Morefield Cyanogen Customer

I continue to have the same random bad guide images as described. With my set up I'm using the guide chip in the self-guiding filter wheel so everything must go through the STT 8300. I could switch to Ethernet to connect the camera to my PC if we think USB is somehow the root of the problem. I this the suggestion?

4. JoshuaHufford

Sounds like a good test to me, sure can't hurt.

5. JoshuaHufford

One thing I didn't think to try was the new Beta version, I'm still running 6.12. Doug do you wan't me to try the Beta?

6. JoshuaHufford

Been 4 days since I did the asked for tests. Any thoughts?

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Adam was off with a nasty cold. He'll get back to you.

8. JoshuaHufford

Thanks, hope he is feeling better.

9. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

The beta does introduce changes to the guiding/image acquisition algorithms, and may very well have a stricter grasp on the various state machines necessary to get rid of these issues. This is a bit of a long shot, but I don't suppose you've been able to capture an SBIG driver log containing the issue, have you?

Curious note: one of your cameras registered with the 32-bit low-level driver, the other with the 64-bit low-level driver. Usually, you'll see one or the other, but not both. I doubt it's related to the issue, though.

10. JoshuaHufford

Hi Adam, no I don't have a driver log. How do I capture this?

According to the driver checker all of my drivers are up to date so is there something else I need to do to make sure I have the correct drivers?

11. Adam Robichaud

Here's a guide on how to collect driver logs: https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/Collecting-SBIGUDrv-Logs-o0g0LaUnOGvXS7fGCjMp8

WRT my comment on your drivers: your drivers are all fine, but it's possible (during hardware renumeration) that Windows gets confused, and decides an SBIG camera needs to use our 32-bit USB drivers instead of our 64-bit ones. You can manually tell Windows to change it; but unless you're unable to connect to your camera, I don't advise changing anything.

12. JoshuaHufford

I will collect the logs as soon as I can. Do you need actual stars while I collect the logs? It might be a few nights before it is clear.

I have had some problems connecting to the STi in the past, a work around I found was this. I click connect to my 2 cameras and camera 2 (STi) will not connect and I get an error message of "Camera 2 failed to open Conud not initialize CCD Camera (27)". However after I get the error message, if I open the "setup camera" window for camera 2, and the close it right away not changing any of the settings, click on connect, it connects perfectly. This has happened several times in a row but for whatever reason seems to happen less often lately.

I'm a big fan of "If it isn't broke don't fix it" so I'm in no hurry to change anything but if you think it might help either of the problems that I'm having I'm up for trying.

13. Adam Robichaud

If you can tell when the frame goes bad without a star for reference, then that works for me — just let me know which frame is bad when you submit the log/frames.

RE: the non-connection glitch: that's odd — but possibly just a result of the camera/driver being in an odd state. Let's deal with this issue here, but if you want to open a second support ticket for that issue, let me know.

14. JoshuaHufford

Sounds good. One other quick question. Do you want me to stI'll leave everything else usb unplugged from the pc to do the logging or can I put everything back to normal?

15. Adam Robichaud

At this point you can go back to normal if it didn't affect your results.

16. JoshuaHufford

OK Here you go, the problem seemed worse than ever tonight. I also noticed something new, I would get darker bands through the images at times. I switch to multi star guiding just so I could get the full frame of the image saved so you could see the entire image. I also switched to using the newest Beta version tonight, I did notice that several times I would get an error message that "Image Calibration Failed". I couldn't tell if this happened at the same time as the bad images, my internet connection to the observatory was really slow and there was a lot of lag. I tried several different settings and I tried to make the file names obvious as to what they were. Let me know if you need anything else.

BTW I also noticed something, if you select 16x16 for the trackbox the 3d profile no longer works for the guide camera in the camera control window.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mai0un8y...uide Images Full Calibration Bin 1x1.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zroajx1k00sg0b0/32x32 Track Box Bin 2x2.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pypin8u3...uide Images Full Calibration Bin 1x1.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/85dyxwpe8yji4th/Full Size Guide Images No Calibration Bin 1x1.rar?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80viwje7zt72w4n/Full Size Guide Images Simple Auto Dark Bin 1x1.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2c46y556ubt6b3f/Full Size Guide Images Simple Auto Dark Bin 2x2.rar?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqtdlt0a4jglg1m/Logs 10 14.txt?dl=0

17. JoshuaHufford

Hi Adam. Curious if you were able to download the files OK and if they made sense and were what you needed.

Thanks.

18. JoshuaHufford

I'm not trying to be difficult, and I realize there is a weekend involved from when I posted my images, but it has been 5 days with out any kind of acknowledgement. I originally started this thread back on April 22nd, today is August 19th and we still don't even seem to have a start on identifying the problem. I have repeatedly had to bump this thread and even sent a PM to staff to get some response, I've tried to do everything possible to help with this problem on a product that should be without issue, (I'm not the only one seeing it). I'm getting pretty frustrated with the level of support.

19. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hey Joshua, I'm just another customer like you, and I understand the frustration. From what I gather, Adam was out due to illness over the past couple of days.
    I had a fast look at the files, to see if what I've experienced looks like what is happening for you. Was there a reason some of them are in RAR vs ZIP format? Just curious.

20. JoshuaHufford

If Adam is still out because of being sick, I totally understand that, however someone should really at least inform the customers of that information so we aren't just sitting here being ignored. I work in service, I can handle sometimes up to 20-30 different customers a day, I know it can be a huge challenge to try and keep everyone happy, but it makes a HUGE difference if you just keep people updated as to what is going on even when you are not yet able to fix their problem.

As far as the zip/rar, that is what happens when you do something half asleep late at night. If that is a problem I can re-do the files.