ChristmasTree NGC2264

Discussion in 'My Astrophotos' started by ROBERT T SCHAEFER JR, Apr 8, 2019.

1. ROBERT T SCHAEFER JR

ROBERT T SCHAEFER JR Cyanogen Customer

CanonEOS RebelT7i 'modified UV-IR @ Hutech' thru a Baader 'UV-IR Cut-Off 2in. filter thru an Orion Polarizing 2in. filter adjusted to 90% light transmittance for a small amount of dimming' using a TeleVue .8XReducer/Flattener for 950mmF/L thru a 162mm A+M Refractor(OfficinaStellare) on an Astro-Physics 1200GTO Mount for 257secISO6400 'one-shotColor' images for nineteen CR2.s into MaximDL Pro V6.16 to Sum stack and then the FITS was put into "ImagesPLus" to do other commands . There are artifacts to the left of the center main star that shouldn't be ther and it's due to the Orion Polarizer because a previous ChristmasTree of 157secISO6400 didn't have the artifact and I wasn't using the Orion Polarizer filter . * there is a chance that the filters are loose because when they are a lightbulb will show double or triple images of itself when looking thru the filter indoors to see what effect it does ... so that would show the chance for the imaging artifact if there is any slight silhouette glow next to a lit lightbulb . x

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Robert - that's a very lovely image, but I do have a quick suggestion or two.

I often find the image has more punch with a little less gamma. Also for an 8-bit image you want to have a background level of about 30 ADU (10%). With those two little tweaks here's what I got from your image:

NGC2264 mod.jpg