Compatible third party power cord for ST series

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by CrossoverManiac, Oct 28, 2019.

1. CrossoverManiac

CrossoverManiac Standard User

I recently purchased an SBIG ST-7E and I'm looking for a power cord compatible with a 12-volt battery. Then it got me thinking what I would do if something happened to the power cord I have now. Also, if I could find a lighter and longer cord that could be the next best thing. My issue is damaging the electronics with the wrong power cord. My question is would a third party power cord work with an SBIG or where to find a compatible cord that can run directly from a DC power source and skip the AC adapter?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The ST-7 used a triple-output power supply, which provided +5V, +12V, and -12V. No one makes power supplies like that anymore, because modern equipment uses built-in DC-to-DC converters instead.

Your best bet is to use an AC inverter with your existing power supply.

Details on the power input connector are in the camera manual, available on our web site at http://diffractionlimited.com/support/sbig-archives/

3. CrossoverManiac

CrossoverManiac Standard User

I did read the camera manual. It said that the camera can be powered by a 12-volt car battery.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Make sure you are reading the correct manual:

http://diffractionlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/USBmanRev14.pdf

To quote the manual:

Operation from a car or marine battery is possible using the optional 12V power supply or with a 12V to 110V power inverter.
    The camera cannot be operated from 12V without an additional external power supply unit, which is no longer available.

Page 69 of the manual shows the power requirements:
    -12V DC, 100mA
    +12V DC, 500mA
    +5V DC, 2A

5. JoeGafford

JoeGafford Cyanogen Customer

I have the DC supply converter with my ST camera. These were specially made for SBIG as I went inside of the brick and found some modifications to the original sold from a parts outlet. They don't sell these anymore. You'll need experience in electronics and soldering to build you a new one for +12 volt to the voltages/currents shown. I suggest one of those small lighter plug 100 watt inverter for your AC supply as Doug stated. I made a career out of electronics repair.