Corner clipped in images

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Brad Straight, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Brad Straight

Brad Straight Standard User

My problem is...
    About 25% of my subs have a corner clipped (not exposed). This can happen with any filter (LRGB) and typically doesn't affect all of the subs taken by any given filter during an imaging session.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please see the attached file for example
    Tthank you,
    brad

Attached Files:

2. GlennS

GlennS Cyanogen Customer

Are you sure that your filter slots are correctly aligned in the mechanism? it looks like the filter registration is off in one corner.

3. Brad Straight

The wheel is a CFW5, is there anyway to misalign the slots? I did find that i have 2mm filters and had neglected to put the o-rings in the holder. The filters appeared to be held firmly in place without the rings but maybe not

Thanks Glenn,
    brad

4. GlennS

GlennS Cyanogen Customer

The newer wheels have detents to ensure proper registration, you might try taking the camera off the scope, then cycle through the filters and look down the nosepiece to see if they are correctly positioned.

5. Brad Straight

Thanks Glenn... Incredible support!!! I will try that but if that were the case, wouldn't it always be clipped? I get about 25% clipped on random filters.

brad

6. Brad Straight

I finally got a chance to check the filters in the expose position and I found 2 things for which I have attached photos.
    1) The shutter is blocking half of the sensor in one of the pictures
    2) The shutter is blocking the upper left corner of the sensor. On this on (and others that it appeared to clip the corner) it almost looked like the shutter got out of the way then bounced back to clip a corner.

Still, this is intermittent. Out of maybe 20 or so exposures that I was watching, condition 1 happened once while 2 happened maybe 5 times taking out various amounts of the corner. I thought maybe condition 1 had been resolved when I updated drivers prior to my last imaging session (Yahoo groups suggested that) and didn't have any issues, but apparently not.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    brad

7. Brad Straight

As this problem is not resolved, I am going to try to get an answer. The shutter is not clearing the image sensor (or bouncing back after ir does clear) and obstructing the sensor. Photos included in the pdf file. This is occurring to some degree in about 50% of the frames.

Thank you,
    brad

Attached Files:

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Cyanogen Customer

Brad, I had a look at your snapshots. Which camera is this, as I don't recognize it? If you're looking for support on the forum, you might find it helpful to give the group some more background - what camera, firmware, os, capture program (eg CCDOPS or MaxIM), have you checked the power supply voltage is okay. If its an older camera, maybe the shutter bearing needs a drop of oil.
    Have you reached out to Bill Lynch the SBIG repair guy?

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It appears to be a shutter issue. Please contact Bill @ Service & Repair.

10. Brad Straight

Colin -
    Sorry for the lack of info, very shortsighted of me.
    Camera STF-8300, Firmware 2.45, OS Win10, Capture apps CCDSoft and Sequence Generator Pro. Unloaded voltage of PS is 12.2V, don't have a clamp on ammeter to check current.
    Bought the camera Jan2013, but made a long distance move shortly after that and the camera was pretty much ignored until 2015. I would bet the camera has way less than 5k exposures. Have seen this problem from the beginning but it seems to becoming more prevalent. I initially figured i was hosing something but didnt get to use the camera enough to figure anything out.
    I have updated the pdf to include camera and driver info. I will contact Bill, but if you have any ideas... please share!
    Thank you,
    brad

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  11. Brad Straight

Thanks Doug, I will talk to Bill!
    brad