Dessicant plug for ST8300

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Orly Andico, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Orly Andico

Orly Andico Standard User

Hello all,

I finally managed to address the frosting/dewing issues on my ST8300, I had to buy two cans of molecular sieve dessicant from Sigma-Aldrich. This is the same molecular sieve that SBIG uses by default (I could not get any through technical support).

My question is.. the ST8300 is inconvenient because it needs to be torn apart to replace the dessicant. I see that the STF8300 has essentially the same body, but has a plug. Is it possible to transplant the guts of an ST8300 into an STF body so that I can get the plug?

2. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

That could prove to be a costly proposition Orly. You'd have to purchase a new camera body, one with a hole for the plug, a new heat exchanger (the large black heat sink that the fan is mounted to), that is drilled and tapped to accept a desiccant plug, the desiccant plug itself and the labor to tear down and rebuild the camera and all that that entails. I'm not sure what those items add up to but off the cuff, I'd guess somewhere around $500. Email me at bill@sbig.com if you're interested in a more accurate estimate.