Resolved Driver for ST-8300C failed on Win 7 and Win 10 (code 10)

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Sternwarte Hochschule OWL, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Sternwarte Hochschule OWL

Sternwarte Hochschule OWL Standard User

Dear experts,

we own an SBIG ST-8300C and migrate from our old Win XP System to Win10 x64. I read and follow all the instructions abount installtion with SetupDriverChecker64 (V4.0.3.5) . However, we can manuelly install the 64Bit frivers for the unknown USB device (the ST-402 device is choosen, like described in the manual).

=> The camera works on the old XP Ssystem (see images)
    => We always get code 10 in device manager on a fresh Win10 or Win7 x64 system (ST-402).

Is looks like the drivers can't be correctly initializezed on win7/10.

All other devices (Paramount ME, CDK17, FLI Camera, Baader dome ...) works well.

Any halt will be appreciated, cause we relly need the ST-8300 for observations.

Many thanks

Lars

Attached Files:

2. Sternwarte Hochschule OWL

DriveChecker image attached ...

Attached Files:

3. Tim

Tim Staff Member

The DriverChecker software is developed/tested using Windows 10, so it is compatible.

Do you have a firewall that may be blocking the DriverChecker software from downloading the latest drivers?

Did you try running the DriverChecker software as Administrator?

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I believe you are running an old version. Instead of using the Update button, download and install the latest driver checker (we've updated the driver checker itself):

ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/SetupDriverChecker64.exe

Then run it and update your drivers.

5. Sternwarte Hochschule OWL

Hi Doug,
    thanks for the info. We've alrady done this (look at the pictures above). As you stated in another thread, the DriverChecker package contains the latest drivers (is 2.4.0.1338 the latest one?) ...

We still can't establisch a contact to the servers of the diffrationlimited by DriverChecker:
    • No Proxy
    • Firewall off
    • Different Servers installations and OS (Win 7 and 10) tested
    So there seems to be something wrong ...

6. Tim

Tim Staff Member

You are using an old version of the driver checker. As Doug said, you need to get the latest version. Your photos provided do not indicate the version of the SBIGDriverChecker64 you are running.

7. Sternwarte Hochschule OWL

Hi,

I don't think so ... in my first post, I wrote "SetupDriverChecker64 (V4.0.3.5)" this is the version provided by the Windows properties of the file donloaded from your website (ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/SetupDriverChecker64.exe):

upload_2018-3-21_17-34-38.png

upload_2018-3-21_17-36-0.png

When I start DriverChecker Update (thats an proxy issue I'll fix):

upload_2018-3-21_17-47-43.png

Procmon shows ftp connection to da.cyanogenimaging.com

upload_2018-3-21_17-48-56.png

Edge:
    upload_2018-3-21_17-55-43.png

The file SetupDriverChecker64.exe is the one I've mentioned above with version number 4.3.0.5 so it should be the latest one.

Any hints are wellcome!

Many Thanks

Lars

Attached Files:

8. Sternwarte Hochschule OWL

Hello,

it's running now! Conclusion:
    1. The installation of the drivers is not possible even with the latest SetupDriverChecker tool installed.
    2. You need a working outgoing ftp connection to da.cyanogenimaging.com
    3. Even there are no newer drivers, the programm installs the drivers in the right way only after a successful connection
    4. However, I also get a private message how to maually copy the drivers to C:\Windows\System32 to get the camera working ...
    Many thanks

Lars

9. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Good to hear that the problem is resolved Lars.

Yes, if your network is blocking ftp connections you will never be able to install drivers using the driver checker tool and for security reasons this may become more common in the future. My own university servers allow ftp connections but the server firewall blocks many types of files other than txt or doc transfers so I have to make other arrangements to download other file types. I too can not use the driver checker on any of the campus site computers.

The only ongoing problem for you is that you will not be able to update your drivers using the driver checker tool from your current location and you will have to ask diffraction ltd to help you update the drivers using a different, manual method.

William.