Erratic Guiding Flunctuations

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Phillip Marshall, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Phillip Marshall

Phillip Marshall Cyanogen Customer

My Autoguiding system has suddenly began having wild guiding corrections.

Hardware: Tak TOA-130NS f/12.3, QSI-583wsg, Guide Camera (initial) SBIG STi exchanged with LoadStar (OAG), RoboFocuser, Software Bisque MyT equatorial mount.
    Permenant Pier in Roll-Off-Roof observatory

Software: MaximDL v6.17, TheSkyX-Pro with Add-On's, Focus Max, CCD Commander. Computer OS, Windows 10-x64. (not using TSX camera add on)

I have been imaging M101 when weather permits with one night of good night sky and then a week later, able to resume.
    Typically I image with one filter till I get my desired 20 images (1200 second subs) with round stars (no difficulty).

My normal setup is using CCDC to orchestrate all my night session. I launch FocusMax that opens MaximDL, and TheSkyX. CCDC is setup to use MaximDL for Autoguiding.

I have used MaximDL exclusively for Autoguiding with great success, even with a 5 inch, f/12.3 optical setup. AG with 1200 sec. exposures, has not been a problem. Normally guiding corrections are small and smooth.

But recently with wild corrections, not able to even get 60 sec. exp. where main exposure does not have star trails.

Not sure if the STi AG camera may be the problem, I exchanged with a StarLight Express LoadStar.
    Different image-scale, but no change in behavior of wild corrections.

I have re-calibrated and get a perfect "L", fiddled with manual speed calibration and reduced Aggressiveness. Does not change behavior of wild corrections.

What changed? Back in January 2018 Microsoft updated computers with v1709. This caused failure of ASCOM compatibility of all my software apps.

I followed the work of Bob Denny of DC-3 Dreams to manually change settings and was able to get up and running again. Including all the automation that I use. I have not changed Denny's procedure, even though there have been Microsoft updates since Jan. 2018.

There may of been a Microsoft update with out my knowledge in the time frame of my AG working and then being erratic in AG corrections.

When I upgraded to MDL 6.16 AG was fine. But when I upgraded to MDL 6.17 I did have an evening of normal AG, but then poor AG since.

Q-1: What are your thoughts?

Q-2: Could Microsoft updates since 1709 caused me problems?

Q-3: What tests could I perform to narrow down the cause or causes?

Possible problem area's could be, MDL, STi/LoadStar, Guide Cable, TSX and the MyT mount.
    I have changed out ST-4 guide cables. Guiding corrections are not going to TSX. But TSX is setup to allow Pointing Corrections, PEC and ProTrack. I disable all of these with no change in AG overcorrection.

Sorry for this massive introduction and you are busy with a important astro-imaging company.

Thank You; Phillip Marshall

2. Phillip Marshall

Phillip Marshall Cyanogen Customer

Another problem I have, is, MaximDL will shutdown suddenly, that is it closes while other astro apps are still working.
    I have seen this with 6.16 and 6.17.
    I can restart and resume my session. This does not happen every time I use MDL.

Phillip

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member