error 1001 initializing filter wheel

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Robert Klose, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Robert Klose

Robert Klose Cyanogen Customer

maximdl 6.7
    latest sbig driver 4.81 firmware 2.58
    run as admin
    win 7 64 bit pro
    stt8300m
    fw8 stt filter wheel 8 filters used
    hi all and thanks for any help in advance

I can guide well , no problems there , unable to take multi shots , when autosave is set up , say RGBC x 90 sec @ 10 each it seems to do the first batch RGBC, you heard the wheel coming back to R it stops but Maxim shows filter moving , then it proceeds to take the rest of the shots but no filter wheel movement , from then onwards the wheel does not move ..
    I disconnected the camera and reconnect via maxim and a get error open filter wheel , Error 1001 initializing filter wheel , only way to get wheel to move is a pwr shut down of the camera

In setup I use for the wheel universal , standard

I did use maxim 5 did not have problems then.
    again thanks for any help

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    Stephen Leshin likes this.
  2. Robert Klose

also have removed sbig drivers and re-installed

3. Robert Klose

found issue with wheel alignment , issue resolved

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Glad to hear you sorted it out.

5. Robert Klose

thanks Doug
    as this is more a Filter Wheel hardware issue, than a Software you can move this post to SBIG Filter section
    as a reference , certain early Filter wheels ( check with Sbig which) had a alignment issue with the main wheel and the smaller locking wheel not tracking together , there is a SBIG retrofit but involves sending the unit into them .
    As a quick get you through the nite remedy, the small Bolt next to the small wheel tension spring assembly , the spring that rests against it , this tension spring ( well On mine it does) sets the height where the smaller wheel tracks with the big wheel , as the head of that small bolt stops you from altering the height any higher , loosening does, theres enough bolt thread to allow you to un-screw the bolt head enough to raises the arm of the smaller wheel and for my unit gave me 3/4 of both wheels touching each other which was far better than the 1/8th that I had before !

I'm planning to retrofit the unit myself with a longer bolt

6. Joseph Zeglinski

Joseph Zeglinski Standard User

**** Hi Robert,

I was having a similar problem with my internal STL filter wheel. I kept getting unacceptable results running the CCDOPS Filter wheel performance "CFW Exerciser". Removing the STL cover, I found that the capstan wheel pivot arm was quite wobbly, perhaps from years of use, so I tightened it. After that I also cleaned the rubber mating surfaces - using Isopropyl I believe, or perhaps some special "Rubber Renewer" as used to clean tape head capstans.

Subsequent performance tests were excellent. I suspect the capstan wheel was skipping its filter wheel contact, on long rotations. Owners should really check that capstan spring arm "pivot screw" for tightness, in any filter wheel system.

Joe Z.

7. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Good post Joe. You're gonna put me outta business. A loose pivot assembly can cause a lot of problems with proper indexing in those FW8-STL's.