Error Initializing Autoguider

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by BobH., Jul 16, 2015.

1. BobH.

BobH. Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

I was having trouble running both SkyX and MaximDL6 simultaneously, but Doug’s suggestion to link both to a POTH hub allowed them to work well together and not randomly shut down ... an excellent solution. One lingering problem, however, has been getting the guider to work through the POTH hub. I have the SBIG 8-position filter wheel with internal guide scope (FW8G-STT) attached to the STT-8300 camera. When I clicked on Expose for the guider in MaximDL6, I received the following message: “Error Initializing Autoguider: Could not initialize guider output. Please check guider settings.”

In the guider settings in MaximDL6, I have Autoguider Output control via set to ASCOM direct, and in the setup button on that screen, I have chosen POTH Hub. What might I be doing wrong? I would appreciate any suggestions/advice. Thank you.

BobH.

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Do you have Camera 2 setup? Are you able to take exposures on the Guide tab?

Please zip and send us your "Settings" folder located in "My Documents/MaxIm DL 6", so we may see what options you have set.

Try setting "Autoguider Output" to "Telescope".

3. BobH.

BobH. Cyanogen Customer

Hi Tim,
    Thanks for your response. Camera 2 is set up as an internal guide scope, with "dual chip mode" selected on camera 1. I can take exposures on the Guide tab. I have the "settings" folder zipped and attached to this message. Hopefully it will give you a clue to help me resolve this. Let me know if there is anything else you may need. Thank you again.
    BobH.

Attached Files:

4. BobH.

BobH. Cyanogen Customer

Hi Tim,
    I tried the "Telescope" setting and the camera ran through 5 quick exposures with no success. The message was "y axis moved <5 pixels", but the truth is that the mount did not move at all in either axis.
    BobH.

5. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Are you able to even move the telescope from within MaxIm DL using the Telescope tab?

6. BobH.

BobH. Cyanogen Customer

Hi,

I've tried repeatedly to get Maxim DL Pro and The SkyX Pro to work together, both controlling the telescope (mount) but with no success. Often it seems that the order in which I open a program determines whether or not it will work, but I could not find a successful combination. I've been reading old forum issues in search of a solution for my problem, and came across a discussion about running programs as administrator. The consensus seems to be that if you need to run a program as administrator, there is a yet to be identified problem which could be related to the various software programs and how they communicate with each other. Here is a description of my system:

- I have a 150 foot ethernet cable from the router in the house to an ethernet switch in the observatory
    - The SBIG STT-8300 camera connects directly to the ethernet switch via an ethernet cable
    - The Feather Touch focuser connects to a Belkin USB hub with a serial to USB
    - The AP 1200GTO mount connects to the Belkin hub via a Keyspan serial to USB adapter
    - The ethernet switch is connected to my laptop in the observatory, or I can take the laptop to the house and work there either wired or wireless.
    - I am routing Maxim DL and SkyX through a POTH hub

My wife says the proper exclamation should be EUREKA, as everything is now working well together. Even the original guiding issue has resolved itself, using control via "Telescope" in Maxim DL (Thanks to Tim for that).

Here is the order in which I now open each program to run as administrator:

- Belkin hub
    - CCDopps
    - The SkyX Pro
    - Maxim DL6
    - Focusmax 4

As a test, I shut everything down and reopened each program, but not to run as administrator. Again, I was forced to choose between either connecting to the mount in SkyX or connecting in Maxim DL, but the system would not allow me to do both. That is frustrating and I'd like to find a solution to it, but at least I have found a work around by running as administrator. I welcome any comments/suggestions, and again thank Tim, Doug, Dan and others who have provided insight into this for me.

BobH.

7. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    While it's good at you found a way to get going, I feel the need to point out to others here that "Run as administrator" has been a major source of confusion and problems with regard to the modular architecture that is common with today's Astro programs. As you found, running as admin puts a program into a parallel universe where it can only talk with other programs that are also running as admin. Eventually you ended up having to run everything involved in the admin universe. I'm writing because others will see this and eventually it will become an Old Wives' Tale etc. causing us Astro software supporters ongoing grief.

I would encourage turning off admin mode and trying to find and solve the real problem, that TheSky and MaxIm cannot control and guide through POTH. Why are your programs "randomly shutting down"? Is there an error message? Are they simply shutting down silently like an iPad app?

8. BobH.

BobH. Cyanogen Customer

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your advice. I definitely appreciate what you are saying. I tried to express that in my response, but didn't really have enough knowledge to know how serious an issue it was to need to run all the programs as administrator. I did know that it would be better to not to do this. I agree that there is a problem in my system, but no one yet has been able to identify it. Ideally, someone would volunteer to use Team Viewer and take a good look at my system. There likely will be an obvious error in something that I have done (but not obvious to me). I realize that running as administrator is a temporary fix, but I'm glad to have it until I can identify the problem and resolve it. Regarding programs randomly shutting down, SkyX would work fine for about 30 minutes and then lose communication. After running SkyX Pro and Maxim DL6 through POTH hub, that issue has not re-occurred.

As it stands now, I cannot connect the telescope in Maxim DL and then connect in SkyX, except as Administrator. If I connect to SkyX and then try to connect to the telescope in Maxim DL, I get the message "Maxim DL failed to connect to the telescope, which returned the error. Could not create COM object 'POTH.Telescope' Reason: Server execution failed". If I first connect to Maxim DL and then try to connect to SkyX, I get the message "Error: command failed. Error = 206." I would greatly appreciate any input in resolving this issue. It is a lingering problem that I’ve worked on for months. Thanks for your help with this.

BobH.

9. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    Is it possible that the AstroPhysics V2 driver, or the APCC if you use that, is running as Administrator?

10. BobH.

BobH. Cyanogen Customer

Hi Bob,

I'll see if I can determine if that could be the case. Thanks for the suggestion.

BobH.

11. BobH.

BobH. Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

Here is where things stand:

Maxim DL6 and SkyX Pro now work fine together, both connecting to the telescope, running through a POTH hub. Maxim DL also connects to the camera without any issues. And this is all happening without running as Administrator. This is incredibly great news.

The bad news stems from communication between Maxim DL and FocusMax 4. I believe the problem is directly related to my settings in FocusMax, since nothing is set to POTH hub in Focusmax. I’ve experimented but haven't found the correct settings yet. To partially correct my problem, I do not have FM autoconnect to Maxim DL. When it autoconnects, I cannot connect to the telescope in FM if SkyX is already connected; but if I open SkyX and Maxim DL and connect individually, they work fine. I can then open FM and connect to the focuser with no issues. However, I cannot connect to the camera in FM if the camera is already open in Maxim DL … and when I attempt this, the connection to the telescope is lost.

So, I have finally narrowed down the problem. I believe this to be a POTH hub issue. I need to find the right combination of POTH hub settings in FocusMax, and I believe the camera would then also connect fine. Thanks to all who have given me advice, and if anyone has suggestions as to the POTH hub settings, I would certainly welcome those. I will experiment more tonight, and if I fail, I will post this on a FocusMax forum. Thanks again.

BobH.