Fan speed, auto

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by CraigNZ, Jul 3, 2019.

1. CraigNZ

CraigNZ Cyanogen Customer

In the Fan speed setup there is the option of 'auto'. Does this setting change the fan speed based on the power draw? Or, is the fan turned on/off based on a temp hysterisis?

Craig

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It is different on various models.

I think it is based on the cooler power level for the STX cameras.

The Aluma cameras use the heat sink temperature.

3. CraigNZ

CraigNZ Cyanogen Customer

I have an STXL-6303. On cold nights when the temperature outside is 32F and the camera is set for -20C and the fan is set for 30% the typical power level is about 12%. In that case, if the setting is configured to Auto then will the fan automatically drop to less than 30% to bring the power level up to say 25% or will it shut the fan off and wait for the power level to rise before turning it back on? The reason I ask this is because a while back when the temperature dropped below 32F the camera cooling power level dropped down to about 1% and then the camera shutdown after that (fan was hard set to 30%). Ideally what I want is for the fan to throttle down or completely shut off to keep the power level at say 20% or so.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If the setpoint is that close to ambient, reducing the fan speed isn't the solution. If you are not actively using the camera, then I recommend turning the cooler off until it is needed again. If you are actively using the camera you should try and keep the delta above 20C.

I don't know the exact details of that implementation. We would have to review the fan control algorithm in the firmware to know exactly how it will behave under those conditions.