Filter wheel hit the pier, need help...

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Kevin Morefield, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Kevin Morefield

Kevin Morefield Cyanogen Customer

While using CCD AutoPilot, had a software issue and the FW8G-STT hit the pier at the HDMI cable. The HDMI cable end that plugs into the filter wheel was broken though the HDMI port appears solid both from outside and inside the unit.

I replaced the broken cable with a 3 foot "High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet" I had on hand. This is an Amazon basics cable and the gauge is clearly smaller than the SBIG provided cable.

When I tested the camera the next night I did get connection but two things appear amiss:

1) The photos appear off and the histograms show spikes instead of smooth curves as usual. Like there are parts of the image missing. Download times seemed normal with the STT 8300M.
    2) When I attempted use the self guiding camera the time to down load the image to TSX was on the order of 20 seconds or more. It would normally be instantaneous. And the image showed the same sort of drop outs on the histogram.

I'm not clear what data flows on this HDMI cable. I was able to take the same sort of photos with or without the cable plugged in (using the main camera at least) and go the same sort of histogram with or without the cable.

I've attached a screen shot of the histogram. Any thoughts are welcome!

Kevin

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You may have damaged the HDMI connector inside the filter wheel. I'd suggest popping the lid off an inspecting the connector from the inside.

3. Kevin Morefield

Kevin Morefield Cyanogen Customer

Looks good from the inside. The more I think about I'm not sure how the filter wheel HDMI could impact the results of the main camera image. I believe the HDMI only related to the guide camera.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Some of the guide camera clock drivers are shared with the main chip. If they were to short out they could affect main chip imaging.

The other place to check is the HDMI connector inside the camera... when a cable gets yanked, there are two ends to consider.