FOVI for STXL 6303 with self guiding wheel

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Dave, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Dave

Dave Standard User

I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to set up an accurate FOVI (field of view indicator) in their planetarium program (i.e. The Sky X) with the new self guiding ccd. Another way to ask this:
    Does anyone know what the arc minutes of offset are from the center of the imager to the center of the guider on the STXL6303? If not, is it the same as the STXL 11002 because if it is, there is someone who has figured it out for THAT camera and I can use his data.
    Alternatively the distance in mm from the center of the imager to the center of the guider would also help as the program will calculate this in arc sec.
    Thanks
    Dave

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  2. Dave

Dave Standard User

Ok. The number I have arrived at is 45.7 arc minutes of offset. This puts the guide star pretty close to the center of the guider image maybe within an arc minute or 2

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Since the mirror pick-off position is adjustable we can't answer the question! You have to measure it.

Easiest way is to use a program with astrometry capability to measure the centers of each frame and subtract. I believe TheSkyX can do that. Certainly MaxIm DL / PinPoint can.

4. Dave

Dave Standard User

Yes that's exactly what I did in The Sky X
    Thanks
    Dave