FW7 with STX Guider Issues

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by William Fenton, Feb 20, 2017.

1. William Fenton

William Fenton Standard User

That last few nights observing remotely I have noticed that have been getting great data during focusing and framing but once I start auto guiding and start a series I was getting much less signal. I figured the dome was not keeping up or I was just unlucky with clouds but I went out tonight and finally figured that when the auto guide is not running the image is beautiful and when guiding, not as beautiful. Also a new hideous, grinding noise is coming from the guider. Ironically it seems to guide pretty well. I see from the SBIG description there is a motor in the guider, can anyone tell me what that is doing before I start opening it up? Any other thoughts on why or how it might be attenuating the images?

Thanks, Bill

PlaneWave CDK20
    SBIG 16803
    STX Guider w/FW7 UBVRI
    Hedrick Focuser
    The Sky X

2. William Fenton

Here is a 100 s, V, 2x2 without guiding and with guiding. Everything else is the same as far as I can tell. I can just keep going back and forth with the same results. without_guider.jpeg with_guider.jpeg

3. Tim

Tim Staff Member

A "grinding noise in the guider"? The only moving part is the shutter. At what point do you hear the noise? During exposures only?

I think you will need to remove the STX Guider and inspect the shutter.

Are you using The Sky X for imaging and guiding? Have you tried any other software to rule out a software issue? Do you have the latest SBIG drivers and firmware installed?

4. William Fenton

I have pulled things apart and the noise seems to be coming from the STX16803. It is indeed a new noise and happens when the STX Guider (not the STX16803 internal guider) takes an exposure or when the STX16803 camera takes an exposure. It does not seem to happen in the very specific case during a guider exposure after a camera exposure. I am using The Sky X for imaging and guiding and have not yet tried other software. I have pulled the guider off the filter wheel but have not yet pulled the filter wheel off the camera. Must be the shutter in the camera? Will continue to investigate.

Here is the noise:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BypJx7aHiP5aM3BGekE0andIWm8/view?usp=sharing

5. William Fenton

OK. Def. the STX16803 shutter. I can hear the noise and see the shutter open and close. I was thrown off because I didn't think it would do that when the autoguider was exposing...

6. William Fenton

Just checked drive and firmware for camera. The stxga.bf2 firmware is at 2.45 and the current is 2.51. All other camera firmware and drivers are up to date. It gave a warning for uploading firmware. Proceeding with update...

7. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

For the record: the driver, and firmware, was designed to mirror the internal and external shutters until very recently.

8. William Fenton

Hi Adam,

Mirror, meaning if one opens they all open?

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Correct. Newer firmware can operate then separately.

10. William Fenton

Have verified that it is the camera shutter. Will start a new discussion in that forum.