FW8G-STXL problem

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by pmattei, Apr 2, 2017.

1. pmattei

pmattei Standard User

Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum and not sure where to post this so I went for "general".
    Recently fired up a new SBIG 16,200 with the FW8G-STXL wheel and guider.
    Running through SkyX.
    Iptron CEM-60-EC, Stellarvue SVQ 100.
    Problem: FW8G-STXL guide camera is unresponsive to changes in mirror position or focus. No stars detected at all settings while main camera is working perfectly.
    SkyX autoguider camera setting is "SBIG imager's built-in autoguider"
    Symptoms when monitoring guide camera on SkyX:
    • when running auto-dark and very bright flat field screen generator, no significant difference in max pixel value irregardless of either autoguider mirror or focus position. Average max pixel reading around 160 at 1x1 binning. Tried all extremes of autoguider and mirror position possibilities.
    • Similar result when auto-dark turned off. Average max pixel reading around 3450 at ambient temperature with insignificant variation.
    • same patterns when binning at 3x3
    I'm hoping this is as simple as changing the SkyX auto-guider camera selection.
    I'm running with a Lodestar external guider in the interim so no missed imaging opportunities but of course I want to get everything working as it should.

Thanks, and it's a pleasure to join the forum.

Pete

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

When imaging with the guider, do you hear the shutter clicking?

Is the HDMI cable connected securely?

Have you tested it with any other software like CCDOps?

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Try setting it to "external autoguider" or equivalent.