Guider calibration after pier flip

Discussion in 'Scripting and Programming' started by Ronald Muir, May 4, 2015.

1. Ronald Muir

Ronald Muir Cyanogen Customer

My setup is Maximdl 6.03, TSX, CCD Commander, QSI 683ws-8 and an external guide scope with a Lodestar X2 camera.

My question is this: How can I use the same guider calibration on both sides of the meridian?

Can this be accomplished by turning on the "telescope" setting in the Observatory Control window when I first start up and then select the Auto Pier Flip option in the Camera Control window. (Just to check, I presume this approach will in deed adjust the guider calibration setting after a flip?)

Or, rather than going through this procedure, can I just run a Maxim "GuiderAutoPierFlip" script immediately after the flip and accomplish the same result?

Ideas???

Ron

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes, the purpose of the Auto Pier Flip option is to flip the guiding directions around. For most mounts the declination direction swaps only, but you can configure that in the advanced guider settings.

There's also an option to automatically detect if the star is going the wrong way and reverse. (Only works if the guide box is large enough, and best turn on the settling criterion feature or you'll lose your first picture after flip.)

3. Ronald Muir

Ronald Muir Cyanogen Customer

Hi Doug,
    Thanks for your reply and all the guidance. It appears that all the necessary settings are already embedded in Maxim so I should not need an external script to flip the directions in the guider.

I have another question about shutting down Maxim at the end of a session. As I mentioned earlier, I use CCD Commander as the executive program and am wondering if Maxim can be shut down with an external script. If so is one possibly available at Diffraction Limited?

Ron

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member